RIR unable to stand after injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mslynn1961, May 11, 2010.

1. mslynn1961

mslynn1961 Hatching

May 11, 2010
    I'm new here and this is my first post. On Saturday night there was an incident at our chicken pen and one of the chickens went missing and another was injured. The injured hen is a RIR and very healthy up to this point. There are no visible signs of injury, no blood, no wounds. I think something had her by theleg and possibly broke it. I can not feel anything broken but she will not stand at all on either foot. She sort of balances herself with one wing. She is eating, pooping and laying eggs. I have her secluded and resting in a warm place. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. I can manipulate the legs and wings and it doesn't seem to bother her.

At this point I am taking a wait and see approach. I take her out of the crate often to hold her and try and get her to put weight on one or both feet. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be wrong with her?

2. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    I don't have a clue, sorry. i think your doing the best you can, moving her to her own place and keeping an eye on her. I wonder if she broke a toe? Good Luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by