RIR walking backwards and sideways- not sure if should be posted here?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Four Girls, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Four Girls

Four Girls New Egg

Jun 4, 2010
    I have a RIR that is a little over a year old. She has recently developed a sideways and backwards walk, sometimes walking in complete circles. The symptoms come and go with intensity. She is eating okay. Last night she had a touch of watery diarrhea.

History:
    The girls free range about an hour or two every day. The receive fresh water every day. They are given layer pellets, available all day. Scratch every morning with carrots, spinach, garlic powder, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds (they are kind of spoiled)

Appearance:
    Feathers look great, Comb is perky and red/pink, Wings are up (not dropping), she is not moulting (two of my other girls are moulting), Egg production is normal (4-6/week), no weight loss,

When she walks backwards or sideways, she kind of turns her head in that direction. Sometimes she walks in circles. This odd pattern has occured for the past three weeks. She is fine late Saturday afternoon through about Wednesday and then starts the pattern all over again.

Housing:
    Cleaned weekly to biweekly

Run:
    Run litter has leaves, straw, grass clippings, veggie scraps

Help, I don't know what is happening. I don't want her condition to get any worse!

2. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I don't know what to say about the problem with your chicken but if you move your question to the emergencies section you may get more responses

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by