RIR's not l aying

ruffles

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
Ok, seven RIR's went thru a heavy moult recently.

It appears that they have not only slowed down, but, are not laying any eggs.

I cannot give them extra light, as we use straw for bedding, and I do not want to push the egg laying, as we have 11 year and a half year olds who also went thru a heavy moult, but
are returning slowly to laying eggs. Additionally we have 8 almost 8 month old chickes who do lay eggs.

I have feeding Nutrena Natural, (which I discontinued) I need to feel confident that there will not be a recall, as Nutrena (Louisiana Plant) recalled some feed, Nutrena Natural, also,
I discontinued the Loyall Dog Food (Nutrena) Senior, the recalled feed recalled due to possiblly aflatoxins in the corn, reason for stopping the dog food, is that Nutrena makes Marksman and River's End dog food, from Louisiana Plant, said food was pulled. I know, that I am in Mass, but, after the number of cats and dogs that died (we also lost a number of shelter animals several years ago due to contamination
I am uncomfortable.

Upshot, I doubt it is the food, I am feeding Layeena, and the chickens love it, have also used Ventura from a local vendor, said pellets and all animal feed are made in the Mill next to the
Retail Store.

SOO, should I assume that at two and a half, the RIR's are finished laying, and I will just leave them to live out their life. Or, perhaps longer and warmer days will result in them laying again.

Sandi and the Gang
Chickens 26

Dogs 6
Five cats all altered

After the molt is totally finished and they start laying again, you will probably get about 15% fewer eggs this season than last season from them. They don't totally stop but they do slow down a little.

Thank you, they are also pets, so, we will let them live out their lives.

Now, I am looking at what other species to add to the brood,

Or, I may get more Barred Rocks, oh, the white rocks I got last spring, were bigger from the get go than the ones that turned a year in May, well, the recent issue of BackYard Poultry, shows Giant New Jersey, well, I strongly think, the White rocks are Giant New Jerseys, only white .

We do not care, we love our chickens,

We have RIR's, Australops, White Rocks, Perhaps Giant New Jerseys , Barred Rocks, need something hardy, our winter so far is so unlike the last winter, but, I want a bird to withstand the cold and snow.

When chickens molt, they tend to stop laying. Plus, winter slows or stops laying productivity of most breeds. 3 of my 4 GSL's are laying, the fourth one is not because she's molting.

Younger chickens are back to normal, laying eggs. The older girls one or two of the 7 have laid two eggs this week.

I am still feeding Nutrena, as it is a good food, no hormones, et al.

Dogs are back on Nutrena Loyall Senior Dog Food.

I panicked.

Back
Top Bottom