Risk it? Dead or alive lockdown moment of truth.

Sep 27, 2021
I need some time sensitive advice and my local group isn't answering. Esmerelda has been sitting on 4 Ameraucana back/blue/splash hatching eggs for almost 18 days. Later today we go into lockdown. Three of the eggs looked good when I candled throughout. One looked like a yolker, but a friend said keep it in anyway. Suddenly last week it seemed to grow over 2 days I hadn't looked at it. The eggs are blue and I've had a hard time seeing veins in any of them I thought I saw movement in this one, but now I'm wondering if I imagined it. The air cell seems large and it's rather porous on that side. It's definitely way underdeveloped compared to the others, but I feel like for some reason, it started developing later. One egg was laid the day we picked up from the breeder, the others were laid within a few days prior. We set them within an hour of pickup. They are under our broody, first time mama and we don't have an incubator. She's in the nestbox of an Urban Coop Company backyard roost over run coop and I intend to lock her in the top to keep the other chicken from going in there starting this afternoon and not disturbing her until the hatch. Should I leave this guy in or not?
IMG_6764.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6766.JPG
    IMG_6766.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6765.JPG
    IMG_6765.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 4
The photo is quite blurry, I can't tell
Honestly, that's my problem, you can't see anything more than that in the egg. Just that dark mass. There's no more detail than that. I couldn't get a better picture because I had to try to hold the camera still for 30-45 seconds, but I can't see anything better than that with my naked eye.
Maybe just leave it, what harm can it do?

I'm just concerned because I'd seen people say the egg could blow up.

Honestly, that's my problem, you can't see anything more than that in the egg. Just that dark mass. There's no more detail than that. I couldn't get a better picture because I had to try to hold the camera still for 30-45 seconds, but I can't see anything better than that with my naked eye.

I'm just concerned because I'd seen people say the egg could blow up.
I've never had that... But I've had ones that leaked yellow stuff. The yellow stuff hardened and wasn't messy. I guess it's up to you, but if it started to develop after the other eggs, when you put it in lockdown it probably won't be ready. It's your choice.

Back
Top Bottom