Rival Neighborhood Gangs

alittletoofar

Chirping
Jun 26, 2018
Bay Area, California
Should I worry about rival chicken gangs? My 4 chicks are almost 3 weeks. They still have a while in the house and I'm already stating to worry about what will happen when they move outside. I'm sure you can tell I'm a first time chicken mom. :lol:

We have a neighbor who has 5 chickens that she lets roam the neighborhood. They come over to my house almost every day. We live on a small dead-end circle, down a dirt road, so there is very little traffic.

I plan to keep our gate closed to try and keep hers out, but they can still get over the fence. Do chickens normally try to go after or try to be around other nearby chickens? Would my chicks try to join the bigger gang? Will they try to fight? Just wondering what I should expect.

Thanks!

It depends on how aggressive you neighbors birds are. You should build a small run around your coop with chicken wire, so that they can't get out and the others can't get to them. This will be only until they are introduced.

Thanks! I do have a fully enclosed run around my coop. It is small though. Only 6' by 4'. I was planning to leave them just in that for a few weeks to make sure that they know where home is and how to get into the coop.

Should I try to let the other chickens around or try to keep they separate?

If their birds don’t stay on their property, how do you plan on keeping yours on your property?
My teenagers are 13-14 weeks and are able to jump/fly up to our 4’ chain link fence.
Does your neighbors flock include any roosters or cockerels?
If it were me, I’d start chasing them out of my yard.
I wouldn’t want them thinking they can come over and bully my younger birds away from food.
Any mature chicken will chase younger birds away from food that they want.
Also there’s the disease exposure issue.

If their birds don’t stay on their property, how do you plan on keeping yours on your property?
My teenagers are 13-14 weeks and are able to jump/fly up to our 4’ chain link fence.
Does your neighbors flock include any roosters or cockerels?
If it were me, I’d start chasing them out of my yard.
I wouldn’t want them thinking they can come over and bully my younger birds away from food.
Any mature chicken will chase younger birds away from food that they want.
Also there’s the disease exposure issue.

She just has 5 hens.

We have a tall wood fence and a wood gate that closes off the driveway. We normally leave the gate open and that is how they are getting in. The fence is at lease 7' tall. I was guessing that they could still get over that. I'm new to chickens so I wasn't sure how high they could fly/jump.

I'll definitely start chasing them away when I'm home. When we're not home, I see them running all over our yard on the security cameras. I've also found 1 all the way up on my deck. I did chase her out that time.

She just has 5 hens.

We have a tall wood fence and a wood gate that closes off the driveway. We normally leave the gate open and that is how they are getting in. The fence is at lease 7' tall. I was guessing that they could still get over that. I'm new to chickens so I wasn't sure how high they could fly/jump.

I'll definitely start chasing them away when I'm home. When we're not home, I see them running all over our yard on the security cameras. I've also found 1 all the way up on my deck. I did chase her out that time.
You’ve already experienced how far they’ll go if nothing scares them lol. :lol:
When we lived in a rental, the lady down the street had 5 or 6 hens that would go to each house where there weren’t dogs.
A seven foot fence might be high enough.
I’ve seen an EE jump to the top of a six foot fence from a standstill.
Perhaps you can start by just keeping your gate closed and see if they’re able to go over the fence.

Back
Top Bottom