Roaches...gross...how to eradicate without poisoning?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by frog522, Jun 14, 2011.

1. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Our neighborhood has roaches, most likely from the sewer. They haven't been a problem for the year and 2 months I've had chickens, but it must be combination of the warmer spring weather and scattered chicken feed on the chicken run floor that is drawing them near. I've seen two or three every night near the run the past couple of weeks. Tonight I saw 8...gross...

I want to kill or trap them without poisoning them (chickens might eat dead poisoned roaches). What are your best methods? I want them DEAD!!!

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Never had a roach problem with the chickens around. Giant water bug roaches (palmetto bugs), yes, those you see at night when the chickens are sleeping that's why they survive. They really don't hurt anything (don't seem to invade your pantry or anything like that) just annoy the bejeezus out of you. I just deal with them around. They like damp wood and wet places, and you say the feed (never noticed them in mine). Maybe you could use sticky traps out of the chicken's reach? Set out some glue traps around the feeder and put a milk crate over them to keep the chickens off them?

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    the best poison for roaches is roachpruf or Boric acid for the longest time all the shipyards I have done work for have had some kind of boric acid eye wash it works well for roaches but you have to reapply it every 2 week for 6-8 weeks to get all the eggs as they hatch out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Boric acid pwoder from the dollar store and some roach bait gel.

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree with above posts. A good friend of mine ran a pest control business and he recommended Boric acid and claimed that eye doctors use it on people with eye problems, so I think its fairly safe. Just look over the contents of the roach killer powders and when you find the one that is made of 100% boric acid, buy it.

6. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    I'm going to say the best bet is prevention. Many recommend DE. Perhaps there is something you can spread outside the coop that the chickens don't have access to. In my house, I use an electronic pest repellent that you plug into an electrical outlet. If there is electricity in the coop, perhaps on of these could be put in there too? I don't currently have one in my coop but if bugs/mice were a problem i'd research putting one in there too possibly. Good luck to you.

7. FarmerRob

FarmerRob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2007
    Georgia
    While Boric Acid is safer than many poisons, it is not good to expose pets or children to it over a long period of time. It is also not good for adults to ingest or inhale. I have read that it is carcinogenic if taken internally.

It is cheaper than DE (Diatomaceous Earth) but the DE is safer to use. BTW--You should not inhale DE either. Be certain to only buy Food Grade DE. You can order it here: http://www.perma-guard.com/

It is diffucult to find the food grade in many areas. The non-food grade has a different texture and will not have the desired effect. Unfortunately the shipping is as much or more than the product. You can put some in your poultry food and in the girls dust bath area and it will keep parasites gone without using chemicals.

DE and garlic powder are two really good wormers for most any livestock. Many people use both of these on an ongoing basis. Preventative and cure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by