roaches

Are you leaving food inside the coop? That would be the primary draw for them and with a nice bed of pine shavings to sleep under afterwards. All feed stays in the run at my house and I sprinkle diatomaceous earth over all of the pine shavings every time I clean. Beyond that any bug that gets in the coop would meet the untimely demise by hungry chicken. Lol

I spray my coops regularly with permethrin spray which kills a lot of pests including cockroaches. I had a lot of flies in the coops. Now I have hardly any flies. I had mites at first so I started spraying the permethrin to get rid of the mites which I suspect was brought in by wild birds. To my surprise It got rid of most of the flies too. My birds were ugly from the mites and now they are beautiful again. It didn't happen over night. Good luck...

We have roaches here in the south! They come in at night to the run and eat spilled feed off the ground. I really don’t know what to do. If I spray permethrin will it hurt the birds or eggs?

You can spray your birds with permethrine to get the mites off them but collect eggs before and put fresh bedding in the nests after you spray the coop.

Last edited:
We have roaches here in the south! They come in at night to the run and eat spilled feed off the ground. I really don’t know what to do. If I spray permethrin will it hurt the birds or eggs?
:welcome :frow Where in the south do you live? I'm in Florida. We have about every pest there is. Permethrin will not hurt the birds. I have spayed the birds but mostly I put permethrin dust on them being sure to get it under their wings and I put the dust in their nest boxes. The birds had some mites which I think they got from some wild birds that were attempting to build their nests in some in the nest boxes. I took the wild bird nests out of the coops and put the permethrin dust in all of the nest boxes. When I first discovered the mites I cleaned out the coops including power washing the insides and let it dry before I put clean litter down and put new shavings in the nest boxes. Since I have been spraying inside the coops I also have way less flies in them which I had a lot before. Now during the summer months I have been spraying inside the coops thoroughly and let it dry pretty much weekly. When the weather is cooler I won't do it as often. There is no egg withdrawal period as there is with other products. I do keep my feeders inside my coops because we get rain nearly every day in the summer months. Good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom