Road Island Red Hen can't stand up

vllang

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 13, 2008
South Carolina
This hen is about a year old I went to the coop this evening to feed the Chickens and they were out of water. She was in the corner with her wings spread out a little and her legs were behind her. Her head is up and she seems to be alert. I have taken her and Isolated her. Does anyone know what is wrong with her. There is no blood. I offered her some water but she won't drink. Please help

Well I went out to check on her and give her water with a dropper but she seems fine now. She is standing up and eating grass. The isolation cage I put her in was on the ground and the grass comes up through it. She is now standing and drinking on her own. Before her legs seemed paralyzed. Anyway all seems fine now.

My nine-year old daughter has a small flock of bantams and recently one of her hens exhibited similar behavior. Couldn't stand, although otherwise seemed alert. She did eat and drink. We kept her in a box for several days (maybe more than a week) and she gradually began to improve. We offered her some toasted and finely crushed eggshell and she really went for that. I thought that maybe she was deficient in calcium. Anyway, she is now fine, but I still think that her problem was diet-based. I am feeding her lay pellets now with calcium supplements. Before she was getting mostly chick starter. Hope this helps.

it's possible she had a dust up with the others, and was in shock.
could have been overheated, and dehydrated.

describe her droppings..color and consistency.

is her eyes wet?
any sneezing or mucus?
any wheezing or labored breathing?

what all do you feed?

when did she lat lay an egg?
has she ever been wormed?

as the weather changes and gets warmer..it's best to have more waterers around to make sure there is always fresh water.

I think it must have been diet based. I feed layer pellet but lately they have not been getting much extra green. They have eaten all the grass out of their run. I have put her in the house for tonight and given her some peas, layer pellet and water. She is up and walking and eating now.

I will buy another waterer tomorrow. I haven't seen her droppings yet. She is usually in the coop with 5 other hens and Rooster. So it is hard to determine what her droppings were like. She hasn't gone since I have had her isolated. My hens all seem to be laying right now I get from 1 to 5 eggs a day, usually three or more.

The hens eyes are clear and her breathing seems fine and did not appear to have any other symptoms, other than her legs were straight behind her and stiff. As I said before she is up and walking now.

Okay, I guess I am going to look pretty stupid now, but I didn't know you had to worm chickens. I worm my horses, cats and dogs. But never thought to worm my chickens. What do you use?

you don't want to over do the treats..a little dark greens is ok..
not too much.
regular lettuce will give them the "squirts"..

the layer feed is important for nutrients.
do you give oyster shell?
a little cooked egg and plain yogurt is good for them..maybe once a week or so.
keep the corn scratch to a minimum in the hot weather.

Wazine 17 is available at most feed stores..
it does only treat round worms, which are common to chickens.
I like to worm my chickens in the spring and fall..before it gets too hot or too cold.
the Wazine is easy to use..1 ounce per gallon of drinking water..making the medicated water the only source.
give for 1 full day..
then repeat in 10-14 days.

there are other broader wormers, Ivermec and Valbazon (sp?).
tend to be popular..
here is some info...just click the meds for more info..::

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/index.php?cPath=23

best to do the Wazine first..
the active ingredient is piperazine and might be labeled Piperazine 17 at your supply store, and might be all they need.

Last edited:
I throw my empty egg shells in the coop sometimes. But I am sure a calcium supplement will be better. I will get it tomorrow when I go to town. I will also look for the Waynze 17 - sp. Thank you all for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom