1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roadtrip Question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, May 28, 2011.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    So one of my males is probably not going to make it to Pennsylvania with the rest of us. He's an older bird so I'm fairly certain it's from stress. He's nothing special but the question is...should he expire, how do I dispose of him along the way??

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    A McDonalds dumpster?? [​IMG]

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Red, you are killing me today with your posts! My sides hurt.... [​IMG]

4. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    I'm not sure I'd ask him to make the trip then. Maybe give him to a friend or neighbor instead of moving him. But if you do take him and he expires along the way, I would be tempted to just wrap him in a towel, put that in a plastic bag and tuck him in a corner. I'd then bury him at the new place. But I agree with redhen, a dumpster would be alot easier.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    M, have you left on your trip yet? Can you bring him to me? He'd have a good home.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

They are on the road, nearing Indianapolis - the day before the Indy 500. [​IMG] It's hard to have to dispose of a bird along the way, but a trash bag, a trash can and a prayer.

7. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    The night before I was moving, my Guinea Pig died. But she was very special to me, I had her for nine years, which is OLD for a Guinea Pig. I wrapped her in her little blanket that I used to hold her in, then I double wrapped her tightly in a couple trash bags and taped it up. Then I brought her with me to bury in the yard of my new house. Might sound gross, but I knew she wouldn't decay THAT fast, and I had her sealed really well in case. It was important to me to bring her with me. Personally, I think that would be a nice way of respecting the chicken (bring some bags and tape in case this happens on the road). If he's not that special to you, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  8. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    Quote:Had to laugh at that one. But could you just imagine the kid working there finding it. [​IMG] He/she would never go to the dumpster again.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Lol! Already on the other side of Indiana! He's in a tote right now. Warmest tote I have. If he makes it he'll be stronger for it. If not, I can get a replacement.

And of course...it's pouring rain. Nice.

10. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

were are you moving to in pa?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by