1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roaming Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by froggergal7, Apr 18, 2017.

1. froggergal7

froggergal7 New Egg

Sep 14, 2016
    I just got a new rooster and two hens last week. They are full grown. It sounds like the lady I got them from didn't handle them and said she would stomp her foot at the rooster when he came near her.
    Sunday afternoon the rooster escaped the run while I was feeding him. At first he was trying to get to his girls but would run every time I tried to open the door for him. I tried giving him time to come back but he went into the woods just out of reach. Yesterday morning I went looking for him and couldn't see him but heard him once. I checked several more times but still no luck.
    Any Suggestions???
    I am heartbroken over this!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You could go looking for him with a net. If he isn't coming back to the coop he may never and it's only a matter of time before something gets him.

3. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    :hugs

You could catch him with a net. You could try to lure him into the coop with some food. You could leave the gate open to your run and try to chase him in there.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC....sorry you're having troubles.

I would lock the girls in the coop and leave the run door open with some food and water in there.
    Hopefuly he will come to eat and you can close the run door....
    ....maybe rig a string/wire so you can close the door from afar or out of sight.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I was thinking the same thing as Aart - lock hens in coop, wait for rooster to go in run, shut him in.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Or pull him off the roost if he has not been lured in by nightfall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by