Roasted Cornish with or without potatoes in pan?? Quick opinion

PurpleChicken

Rest in Peace 1970-2018
Apr 6, 2007
Iceland
It's 10:00 and I have two 5 pound Cornish that I defrosted and must cook. My mind is scattered and blank. Should I roast them alone and use the drippings for a soup or should I fill the HUGE baking pan with white potatoes and let them bake in the juices???

I've got this killer organic poultry rub from Costco I'm flavoring the birds with. I don't cook much anymore.
sad.png
As it is I'm gonna have to wait up until 1:00 or so until they are done.

Suggestions welcome and BEGGED FOR!!
hugs.gif

Onions, potatoes, carrots and whole, peeled garlic cloves. Drain off the juices once done, let separate, skim the fat, and make some wonderful gravy with the juice! Oh YUM!

MMMM gravy....

This is gonna be the best tastin meal I've ever had at 2AM.
roll.png

I've actually never made gravy. (none of my southern friends hit me please)

Quote:
Call me if you need directions- TOMORROW!
lau.gif
Nah, this southerner isn't gonna whack ya.

Seriously, gravy is one of the things I do well- you want equal amounts of fat, be it butter, chicken fat, bacon grease, etc. and an equal amount of flour. I cook for two with leftovers, so usually 3 Tbsp each.

Heat the fat- when it's hot, add the flour, sprinkling it around the pan. You want it to sizzle and seize up as it thickens. Keep it moving, the back of a wooden spoon works great. What you're doing is cooking the raw flour taste out, without burning it. Take it as brown or not as you want it, but don't let it burn. STAY with that pan!

Start adding the pan juices, bit by bit, stirring all the time to prevent the flour sticking to the bottom. Think Tasmanian Devil. That should be easy for ya!
big_smile.png

Keep adding juices, keep stirring, season to taste and voila! You have made gravy!

I like to use thyme, salt and pepper in chicken gravy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom