Robert "Bob" Blosl's Words of Wisdom

Wisher1000

Bama Biddy
13 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
I know that Bob helped many, many people other than on the threads. I hope that you will use this thread to cut and paste, or paraphrase, or even attach here so that we can all learn from your interaction with this wonderful mentor. Though Bob's no longer with us physically, he will remain here forever. Please share any knowledge that Bob has given you with others so that his passion and goals can carry on. I know he would be pleased to be able to keep on helping others.

Yes, Bob, we will "Keep on kicking the can down the road" and thinking of you, every step of the way...

"Go slow and stay in the middle"

"KISS"

For a wealth of information from Robert "Bob" Blosl, read his articles here --> http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id68.html

Last edited:
I am so grateful for Bob's wisdom and kind words. He just knew the right way to explain things. Whether it was care, feeding or breeding I understood what he was saying and will always be happy that I had someone with just the right answers, even if it was just on a thread. Thank you sir :)

Wisher1000 -- I've been losing a bird here and there, do you think it could be the heat?
What do you think of the Dicky Incubator?

Robert Blosl

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:04 pm
dickey and sportsman's are killer units. You wont go wrong last a life time. bob

you will loose birds in the heat. Its part of the fit of the fittest principle. Some birds that come from different regions can not take the heat. The strong will pass this on to their off spring. I had birds from Ohio down here they died and stopped growing because of the heat. My birds up in Ohio looked like scrubs did not like their climates. I sometimes thing it takes three years for a strain to get use to a new climate. Unless they came with in two to tree hundred miles from your home that is a different issue. bob
What happens sometimes northern birds don't like our climate and the heat and humidity can shut down their growth and they will die. Normally the heat shuts down their growth and eating and some it does not bother. This is the fit of the fittest principle working for you. I have ten chicks in Wisconsin saw one pullet that looked like a runt of the littler in puppy's. I hope that he will get two males and two female's that will adapt to the colder weather and water ect and he can breed from them. It takes sometimes three years for another or southern bird to adapt to a different climate.

Matt Ulrich got two Silver Laced Wyandotte's from Canada and a male from New York only hatched one chick down here last year. This year he had better luck they must of adjusted some he got about 30 chicks but here is the rub.

8 of them have single combs. How can to old strains of Wyandottes come up with single combs they where crossed of course. Is it the cross of the two lines or did the climate mutate the chicks to have single combs?

Sometimes some chickens are just not vigor's and can not make the climate change. But if you do not feed medicated feed as chicks because of the antibiotics you can loose half of your chicks to Cockcidous . I have seen it every year. Hope this helps bob

Last edited:
I am a visual learner and Bob used a lot of illustrations which made things easier for me to understand.

When he said to look at a bird THIS way - a lightbulb finally went on!

The following paste is a conversation that occurred between Mr. Blosl and me (private message system). It shows the great effort and time he took to help someone he had never met.

Brahma breeders?

Conversation between Robert Blosl and me

ocap

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:20 pm
Who do you consider the best brahma breeders? I am drawn toward the buff but will consider the dark and light also.
Thanks,
John

Robert Blosl

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:40 am
the top light brahmas are in Minn Mark Peterson Dave Anderson in Calif has good lights and buffs. Buffs are rare and not as nice as the lights. The thing is are you going to show them”?

Next what state do you live in?
Therese super star breeders don’t ship eggs or chicks so you are going to have to find a customer who might or get birds at a chicken show they go to or go to their home if you live near them. Also there is a Americana Brahma Club and they could help you locate a good breeder near you. I always want to get the top birds a trio if I would get some of any breed to save time and money. So be patient lets locate a guy and then maybe in 30 you can make arrangements to get some there are going to be a lot of fall and winter shows coming up Lucasville Ohio Columbus Ohio and they will be there as well. In Calif they are in Jan.

Get back with me on showing or personel use and your state so I can locate the right person. Great breed and needs help to keep them going. bob

ocap

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:09 am
Dear Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I am enjoying the chickens that I have and started buying chicks with the "homestead" idea. Now I am leaning toward learning how to "breed" and will not rule out showing. I agree with what I have read on your "Heritage" thread that all chickens eat the same amount so why not preserve the best line. I began with an order from Cackle Hatchery then quickly found Mr. Urch and bought some from him this spring. The difference in quality from the two sources is evident even to my untrained eye.

I live just north of Kansas City. Driving to Minn. or Ohio is possible while Iowa, eastern Kansas, and Missouri would be better. I would be tempted to ship the trio using USPS if I buy from Mr. Peterson.

Is the brahma too difficult a breed and which variety would be better for a beginner? Should I learn with the Cackle buff brahmas that I got this spring? I am not in a hurry since I have five buff brahma cockerels and one buff brahma pullet from Cackle (hatched June 3).

I like your idea of using silkies for brooders instead of incubators.

John

Robert Blosl

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:13 pm
You need to make a call to Mark Peterson and or send a personnel message to Charlie Voda. Charlie should know who has good buff large fowl in your zone. You live in a great zone or region for chickens. Iowa is great. Also, I have a friend who is a judge I met this past Dec his name is Reaber from Iowa. He will know every one in that region who has Brahmas. The problem is hatcheries like you got may have a 91 point brahma Urch may have a 92 to93 point strain which is better as he is a judge and a great breeder but he has a 100 breeds. You want to go to the guy who just specializes in the Buffs. However, if you just want them for pets do not care to upgrade them like we nuts do then don't worry about it. Hard to get eggs or chicks from good breeders. You got to buy their left over birds but here is the secret. Buy their old breeders they don't need anymore a year or two year old birds. These where their cream of the crop birds. A two year old cock bird a three year old hen and maybe a pullet with a defect of minor sort like a crippled turned in leg that he cant show but is a killer for a breeder. Just a thought.

So we narrowed down your region. You need to try to go to some of the shows in your region. Send me your address and I will ship you a poultry press magazine of the shows in the USA then you can try to go to the shows and maybe pick up a trio from a super star breeder. Also, you may want to practice first with some good light Brahmas then in a year or two find the buffs you want. Buffs are extra trouble for color as you got to breed two colors than just one. If you got some of Mark Petersons scrubs you would be the happiest light brahma breeder in the world. Then how about Mark being your mentor on how to breed the color pattern. That would be priceless.

Just a thought that I would do. They wont be that hard to breed as he has breed them for 30 years. will get back latter for some phone numbers and email address. Got to my new bantam tread and see Charlie voda post send him a personnel message. He is a wonderful guy. bob

ocap

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:23 pm
I have just received my first copy of "Poultry Press" and there is a Missouri show in about two months.

Mr. Urch did not have any buff brahmas this spring when I was ordering. do not know why. He might still have dark brahmas.

I will look for Mr. Voda now.
Thanks,
John

Robert Blosl

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:15 am
Here is the buss about Mr. Urch. He is about at the end of his days being huge. He may be getting rid of his birds or some of them. You need to get on his list to purchase some of his old breeders in Buff Brahmas. Some of his lines are over 30 years old. Need to call him and ask him if he can put together a old trio or a young male and some hens for you. You meet him at a show and pick them up or his farm. That would be one way to get a good start.

Mark Peterson or Charlie should know. You have your poultry press so you are set. Look up Art Reiber in Iowa. Give him a call at night and he can tell you all who has what. He is the senior dean of judges for that region.

keep me in touch with your progress but you are in Brahma county and they will do good in your climate. bob

ocap

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:37 am
great ideas !
I will call Mr. Urch first to see what is available then the other three to see if they can help.
Thanks,
John

ocap

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:19 pm
I found someone about two hour drive, would you ask some of your buddies if he has reasonable buff brahmas?

npip#43-513
Jerry and Carole Hartel
660-327-4540
19176 Monroe Road 249
Paris, Missouri 65275-2240
Large Fowl: Rose Comb Ancona; Single Comb Ancona; Black Australorp; Buff Brahma; Black Cochin; Golden Laced Cochin; Partridge Cochin; Dominique; Black Jersey Giant; Black Wyandotte; Rose Comb White Leghorn; Single Comb White Leghorn; Buff Orpington; Barred Plymouth Rock; White Plymouth Rock; Non-Bearded White Crested Black Polish; Black Sumatra; Blue Sumatra; Black Wyandotte; Golden Laced Wyandotte; Partridge Wyandotte; Silver Laced Wyandotte; White Wyandotte

Robert Blosl

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:17 pm
http://archive.org/stream/cu31924003002486#page/n7/mode/2up

here is a gift for you.

I don't know these people a lot of times when people have ten or more breeds they cant devote the top energy to their birds. There is a guy in Oklahoma named Larry Dye. He has good light brahmas and he may know who has top Buffs in your region.
Here is another guy super great judge. Steve Jones Poetry Texas look up his name in the poultry press and tell him I told you about him. He knows all the top Brahma guys in the USA. He can lead you to the top guys I am sure.

Just don't know right off the top of my head. These folks do not have a face book or web site so cant tell what they have. Does not mean nothing however.

Have you been to the Brahma Club site? I am going to look at that right now and then the APA year book and see who has been wining with Buffs last year. Some buddy has them but who? bob

ocap

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:59 pm
thanks for the link to the brahma and cochin document.

I have been to the brahma club site and could not find a list of winning breeders.

I just tried Mr. Urch and no answer.

John

Robert Blosl

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:17 am
http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/thread/3865/quality-large-buffs?page=1

have you been here yet? bill mayer Darlene hobbs advertises in poultry press call her.

She has good lights and the folks in Mich igan have good buff bantams and light large fowl bob

Robert Blosl

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:22 am
Not sure exactly what your definition of "quality" is. Large Lights are King now. The man who had BV and RV at Crossroads was named Bill Brunshon. I do not know him or where he lives. Maybe someone else knows him and has contact info. lives in Illinois they say.

Read more: http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/thread/3865/quality-large-buffs?page=1#ixzz2dGmWfA85

Robert Blosl

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:29 am
Vice-President:
Tim Lindenborn
105 West Cheek
Saint Jo, TX 76265
(940)-995-9408
[email protected]

http://www.americanbrahmaclub.org/club-officers.html

District 2 / Alabama, Georgia, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina,
Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi
Darlene Hobbs
2005 Usher Rd.
Landcaster, SC 29720
(803)285-4463
thee folks will know Tim is Mr. Brahma.

Tim will be the one to help you. Get on Urchs list if nothing else for a old gene pool.

Don't sound like the buffs are up to the lights for type and color.

Be patient and get the best gene pool if will save you tons of money and try to get one strain with a mentor to help you. I still would get some good lights from Peterson a trio to practice with. Maybe even cross onto a good colored male to a good colored buff female then mate the best ckls back to the female or her sister for three years to inbreed the color back to their type. That's what a guy did in 1965 and produced a champion cock bird ant the Oregon State Fair I attended. Hope this helps you. bob

ocap

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:03 am
hi Bob,
found a guy in Ohio
Dave Burchett

Thanks,
John

Robert Blosl

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:08 pm
hope he can help you. bob

ocap

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:14 pm
your recommendation of a judge in texas who new someone who purchased buff brahma and I gave him a call and he ships so I am set.
one last question, young trio hatched in May or an old trio that might not give me enough good years? He offered both

Robert Blosl

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:32 pm
ask the seller what he think would be best. He would not have kept the old trio unless they where good birds.

Mate the best pullets back to the male the best two ckls back to the hens and then the next year you will tons of chicks I will help you put together a line breeding program. Order you a toe punch to toe punch each egg from each hen.

Then we can criss cross the family's also, you can go back and get a bird from this guy in a year or two for fresh blood. Just don't go out and buy a buff brahma large fowl from some one else's stain unless its from this guys strain. You will go back wards with the out cross. However, if you see say a killer typed hen from say Mark Peterson You could cross a good buff colored male to her then mate the pullets back to this buff male for three years to start your new stain. It might be fun to see how it would work. You would improve the type on your brahmas from the Peterson and use the buff color from this guys stain. You don't have to do this but it might spring board your type on the buffs over the next five years. This is looking into the future. Most important thing get the trio you are set take good care of them and hatch lots of chicks . bob

ocap

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:37 pm
exciting !
I just ordered the SOP.
I have 15 silkies but I do not know if they are cockerel or pullet, they hatched June 3. Finished some nest boxes for them yesterday.

Thanks,
John

Robert Blosl

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:31 pm
TALKED TO MY PATNER BTONIGHT HE SAID GO WITH OLD TRIO BETTER PROVEN BIRDS. BOB

ocap

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:06 am
great advice
I would need to find someone with an incubator, my silkies are not yet old enough to brood. Difficult decision. If I buy the younger trio the silkies would be ready at the same time. Your partner is correct the older trio has survived the culling process.
thanks,
John

Robert Blosl

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm
Incubators are super important. One you need to consider is the Genius by Quail Quail Factory. It will last a long time not real big but very correct and if they are fertile they will hatch. The sportsman wooden incubator 1201 by the same company sometimes you can pick up used is a good one .One thing to ask your family is for Christmas what do you want. This is a investment like a standard. Get a 40 dollar feed store job and you will be sorry. Some times there are a guy who has a incubator that don't lives far from you and he will hatch them for you. On these old birds you cant afford to take chances. I have seven silkie females and three brahma bantam females hope they will go broody from March to May.

On these big Bahamas when you get them you want to turn the lights on them in Nov and hope they will start laying soon Jan Feb Mach ect. You want large fowl out early in your part of the world do you want to show your birds someday? bob https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77

ocap

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:30 pm
I put a note in the Missouri thread about needing someone to incubate for me, so far no replies.
I have looked at the Genesis before and am inclined to go that way.
I have been to state fairs a lot when I was younger and never happened to be there on Poultry day, so I will go to a show in about two months to see what it is like. I know that as I get more involved in Buff Brahmas and Black Australorps I will want to see where I stand among the others in Missouri, so showing is something I am considering.
The other two breeds that I acquired from Duane Urch was silver penciled Wyandottes and Buckeye but they are not my favorites.

Robert Blosl

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm
good

Thank you so much, John!

These are exactly the type of exchanges that I wanted to share with everyone. Bob knew so much, but more importantly, had a real desire to educate people. I know he would want us to continue to share his knowledge. I know that it is a way for Bob to keep on helping.....he would love that.

Anyone else out there have saved conversations with Bob? Please, share them.

Back
Top Bottom