Robo-broody take 2

new chick 203

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 8, 2010
Ridgefield CT
My very determined bantam cochin went broody this spring and after trying unsuccessfully to break her I let her sit on eggs. She hatched 15 weeks ago and raised the chicks, and now is back to Robo-broody. I just can't have any more chickens. If I let her sit on eggs, but give the chicks away what will happen? Will she get that she has completed the cycle and go back to normal, or will she be sad or want more eggs? I'll let her do it if it will get out of her system. She is my favorite girl and I just want what's best. Please advise.

She will lay another clutch of eggs and go broody again. Actually she may wait until next spring, but she is genetically programmed to be a setting machine. It's just what most silkies and cochins do.
idunno.gif

I was hoping that the days getting shorter and with a little nip in the air she might not be thinking of chicks till Spring. It just doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I'm not a chicken.

Some silkies and cochins will go broody in the middle of winter. They do it because that trait has been selected and bred for in those breeds.

I have 2 broodies right now and one is a bantam cochin. She is only 6 months old and already broody. Between her and my Australorp they are setting on 25 eggs. Good thing I have someone that wants them. The rate I am going next year Rural King wont have to order from Cackle, I can just provide all the chicks for them
lau.gif

I have so many broody hens I didn't know what to do with them all....they won't break and I'm tired of trying, and I can't keep hatching chickens, so I started to breed quail. They are tiny birds that don't require too much space (we built a seperate hhutch and run for them...its actually quite big). They're good egg layers, and I don't get attached to them, so the DH can eat them. Plus, my silkie/ cochin bantam brooding team are small and will hatch them no problem.
I have a broody Austrolorpe setting on 9 eggs, a mixture or Mille Fleur D'Uccle roo, with either EEs, OEGB and Dutch Bantam mixed eggs. My Dutch Bantam has been broody for a couple of weeks and I am tempted to give her a couple of those eggs to set just in time for them to hatch. Not sure about that yet, tho.

I just hope they start molting or something to get thhem off this dang broody kick.... even tho I AM addicted to hatching.

Back
Top Bottom