'Robust' breeds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAJerry, Oct 31, 2010.

1. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    I'm wondering if anyone has noticed certain breeds that seem to have fewer health problems or some that have more. I started with a flock of 5 Golden Comets and 5 Buff orps. After I lost 1 Orp and 1 Comet to prolapse, and one Orp to a raccoon, I got 4 Production Reds to add to the flock. In the last 2 months, I have lost 3 Comets to what appears to be just general decline ( they are almost 3 years old). The Orps have always looked great and the Prod. Reds , although a year younger, are just fine. I plan to start a new flock next spring and , right now at least, will not consider Comets - even though they produced a lot of big eggs. In Henderson's breed chart, it seems that Rhode Island Reds are termed as 'robust', ie more disease resistant, than most breeds so I am considering them. Are the hybrids inherently short lived? What breeds have been best in your experience? I want to get as much info as I can before I start the new flock. Thanks for your help.

Jerry

2. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    Quote:I would check into the Buckeye breed. There is a Buckeye thread on BYC

3. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Asian games if you ask me. Since I first got mine, I've never yet had a single problem as far as health is concerned. The only problem is that the hen are severely addicted to going broody [​IMG] Also, the eggs are not very large, but when not broody, the hens lay practically everyday. In fact, they are so trouble free and easy to keep, that I now only have Asian games. With that said, I'm not sure if they would handle the cold very well, bearing in mind that it never gets cold in Thailand, at least not for us who come from colder climates.

Good luck [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    From reading on here I get the impression that the answer is not so much a breed as a source. Hatcheries breed for eggs; breeders breed for a lot of qualities, including good health. If I were starting over I would not even consider hatchery stock, now that I have learned from BYC about breeders, and even know there are a few within a reasonable distance from me.

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Hatchery chickens do get sick more often and do have health problems, but if breeder chickens are too expensive etc. then you should try to get heritage breeds that are not that popular (like cuckoo Marans are very popular, 10 out 15 of mine died before they were 4 weeks old and the 5 surviving ones didn't look too great) This summer I was buying orders of 25 mixed female chicks and selling them so I got to see all kinds of breeds, the heritage breeds were always healthier than the fancy ones. Half of the Anconas developed walking problems, the Blue Andalusians got sick and some died, while the leghorns, RIRs, BRs, and BAs were fine and running around like maniacs! most of them I sold before they were 3 weeks old so I don't know how a lot of them did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by