Rocket Decided I needed to Wash the Kitchen Floor

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
Found a HUGE puddle at the corner of the kitchen island. At first I couldn't figure out how it got there, neither the dishwasher nor sink were leaking, nor was the bottle of vinegar spilled. There was no discernible smell so I left paper down to soak it up and took the pups for their walk.

By the time I got back the smell was obvious. And as the curtain in front of the island was wet too, it had to be my boy Rocket. He must not have been able to hold it in this morning though my BR door was open and he is very good about whining to wake me up. Poor guy, he's almost 11, I hope this is just a freak accident and he isn't having some kidney problem. He has been on arthritis meds for 6 months (not rimadyl).

6857_mrschickenrocketa.jpg

Poor Rocket, I do hope this is a freak thing and not a sign of things to come. 11 is getting up there for a large breed dog (I know you already know that). Sometimes dogs just have an accident, too much water on a hot day, or being too busy to potty when outside. Good luck with him
smile.png

Thanks.
smile.png
I know he's an old boy. My vet and I are taking good care of him though. We made sure he had a blood test before going on the meds so any changes could be checked. He's running out of meds anyway so it's a good time to take him in for a check-up just to be safe.

It has been very hot and humid here, too. Right now he's over at Uncle Butch's house hanging with his friends Yogi and Tank. They're not as old as hum but older than Luna who can pester him more than he'd like at times.

It's so hard to watch our beloved pets get older. I hope it was a one time thing also. He looks like a sweetie and looks like he's being very well taken care of.

I have a Newfie that's going on 10 and a German Shepherd mix going on 12. I can't even think about losing them yet.

Oh I second that! There are so many that would go have him put down for old age and accidents, it is such a shame. He is a very lucky boy!!! Maybe he just had a lot to drink and couldn't hold it.....Poor little guy! I am sure everything will be just fine!!!

Poor old guy - I'm sure he was ashamed of himself. Hopefully it was a one-off, or maybe he just has a light infection.
I'm house-sitting this week for an Old English Sheep Dog pup who has yet to get the idea - no matter how long we walk around outside and how many times she goes, she seems to have to go on the floor again anyway as soon as we go into the house! I knew there was a reason I always adopt the geriatric dogs and not the puppies!

What a great dog owner.
smile.png

We have an ancient dog, except for a few accidents every so often, nobody believes he is as old as he is!
Here's to Rocket having more quality years with his owners.

Quote:
A light infection will present as more frequent urination, perhaps straining to urinate, or dribbling upon standing up, especially after being asleep. Of course, these are also things that tend to happen to an older dog anyway, so they can be subtle changes. I had an old girl who was prone to infections, so when we felt there was something wrong, we would just get a clean catch of urine in a clean container and drop it off at our vet's. I can't recall the testing fee, so it couldn't have been too much.
A serious infection will be far more obvious - pinkish urine, or blood and pus in the urine.
I love the name Rocket - what a cutie!

Back
Top Bottom