1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rodents in the duckpen!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AimToMisbehave, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The night pen is secure - no rodents can get in once the door is closed (we did have a tiny opossum sneak in once . . . lesson learned).

The day pen sees rodent visitors regularly, but usually at night. I leave the doors open to the day pen at night sometimes to allow local rodent predators, including my cats, access to the area.

1 person likes this.
  2. MaureenD

MaureenD Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    South Central Wisconsin
    Don't ducks also eat mice? I would think they would not stand a chance if they cannot outrun the ducks.
    I do the same. They have a gallon rubber pail for the daytime to graze while I am at work. Early evening I change water, give a couple scoops more food, they eat, I clean up for the next day and then take food in when I coop them for the night. They sure are happy to see me in the morning (I mean, the bucket....) ; )
    Still getting eggs daily. Weather in South Central WI will be in low 40's with sun for the next 5 days! Yahoo! Thankful for each warm day we get.

1 person likes this.
  3. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Well it all ducks actually eat rats or mice, I can't remember if it was casportpony or misslydia or someone had a story of their Muscovy males eating rats and mice that came near their females nest, talk about protective fathers.

1 person likes this.
  4. AimToMisbehave

AimToMisbehave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    I cleared out most of the rodent hiding places, and started just feeding out of a bucket, and only during the day. Hard to say for sure if the problem is solved, but I haven't seen any more creepy critters yet!

5. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wasn't me but my chickens will eat mice too, problem here is it's after dark when the mice and rats[hopefully not rats] come out and all my birds are locked up. A few weeks ago I found a mouse drown in the kiddy pool I picked it up and laid it on the ground and my chicken picked it up and ran off with it. [​IMG]

I need to set up my game camera to see if we have rats coming out after dark.. Gives me the creeps.

7. AimToMisbehave

Jul 13, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Yikes! I don't even know what these ard, they're like... halfway between a rat and a mole

8. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Could they be shrews? They eat eggs

9. AimToMisbehave

Jul 13, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Maybe? Are shrews kinda fat and dark grey? Although none of mine are laying yet... but they could have been after the duck food

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by