Rodents in the feed--thoughts on cats--

We had a mouse problem last fall, till I brought home the muscovies, I haven't seen sign nor mouse since. Of course being that yesterday was March 31 it isn't like you can just go pick some up. My suggestion is to suspend the feeders and put out bates to take care of the rodent problem.

However, if you want to get a barn cat, simply for the joys of HAVING a barn cat, I say go for that. Rescuing an animal in need is a satisfying use of an afternoon, and you get a companion for many years. We rescued a kitten, who does not go outside, and a dog, who goes where we go, last year and I cannot imagine our home without them now. I am thinking about adopting two more cats this summer to be our barn cats, strictly outdoor kitties. Of course I think having 4 animals that need yearly shots and check ups might drive my husband crazy. We will see. Good luck.

Our cats have killed a variety of snakes, copperhead, whips, mall chicken snakes and on occasions small water mocisons (don't know who to spell it...lol) One day we came home to a dead small rattler. To some of the snakes they have a immunity to them , but heres a tip to save lots on a vet bill, (I was a vet tech before i had my girls) And for a snake bite on dogs, cats is a regular caplet of benedryl, its 1mg per pound ex: 25 pound dog gets 1 caplet. Hope this helps, just a little fyi to save you about $75. Thats what the vet I worked for charged on a snake bite and all he gave was benedryl, Exception this may not help with some bites, water mocisons are really bad bites and copperhead and rattle snakes can be bad depending on thier size.

I've had barn cats for 30 years and mine never seemed to make that much difference.
I use to feed free choice to my ducks and geese in drop down wall feeders but I had an explosion off mice
one year and started to only feed them as much as they will clean up in a short time in the evening when I would
close them in for the night.
Muscovies (which i have) will kill and even eat mice sometimes but mine didn't seem to
be able to kill enough mice to make a difference.
Anyway I started poisoning the mice and knocking their population down.
I set bait under milk crates with a rock on top a around the outside of my barn.
I didn't have any problems with the mice transferring the bait anywhere that i could see
and no dead waterfowl problems.
I honestly did not see one mouse all winter 2009/10.
So then I got the idea I would feed my waterfowl outside during the day to eliminate all feeding from
the barn at night but feeding outside during the day started attracting English Sparrows (winged rats I call them)
so that ended that.
Anybody know how to get rid of Sparrows?
I have to close my barn doors during the day or they will go right in and help themselves to the feed.
Do Owl decoys scare them off?

Victor snap traps DO WORK if you check them daily and make sure they're enclosed so only MICE get in. they WILL solve the problem without poisons if you are diligent. then you DON'T have to patronize a farmer(excuse me-I live naturally and grew up around these"old time" farmers that let their cats breed and found it highly offensive and incorrect). the traps DO work. they DO.

I agree about the barn cats that are left to themselves.
Those are basically feral cats.
I have "deluxe barn cats"
They are spayed/neutered/fed/vaccinated etc.
They are basically pet cats that live outside.

Back
Top Bottom