Rodger the rooster is a mess

Chickengene

Songster
Feb 21, 2019
East TN
I was having high hopes of Rodger being one of those good roosters. Lately however I am beginning to have reservations.
I first thought he was taking advantage of Miss Ruby waaayto much. Then I remembered, every male of every poultry species seems to have a thing for Ruby.
Then I read a good rooster helps keep peace in the flock by breaking up squabbling hens.
Rodger just utilizes the opportunity to mount whichever hen is not paying attention to his approach.
His libido is obviously in hyperdrive.
I was actually telling him, "now there you go buddy, that's a good rooster", when I saw him gently clucking and pecking at bugs when the baby chicks came around.

I was having high hopes of Rodger being one of those good roosters. Lately however I am beginning to have reservations.
I first thought he was taking advantage of Miss Ruby waaayto much. Then I remembered, every male of every poultry species seems to have a thing for Ruby.
Then I read a good rooster helps keep peace in the flock by breaking up squabbling hens.
Rodger just utilizes the opportunity to mount whichever hen is not paying attention to his approach.
His libido is obviously in hyperdrive.
I was actually telling him, "now there you go buddy, that's a good rooster", when I saw him gently clucking and pecking at bugs when the baby chicks came around.

:lau

I'm sorry but that was funny!

It depends on how old he is. When those hormones start to rage all they think about is how many girls they can mount as often as possible.

Yes he is still young, 26 weeks less I dismenber.
yeah he's still got teenage hormones and thought patterns, he will mature eventually and behave, Chicken jail at that age doesn't seem to help to much, though getting 4 leghorns did help as didn't get no means no and he got to forceful and was hilarious got dive bomb attacked by them and learned to mind his manners with all the hens so he wasn't in trouble with the dive bomb squad

If he's not human aggressive (yet, anyway) and causing no injuries, give him time. Having hens, and a rooster, rather than all pullets, helps these randy adolescent cockerels learn proper courtship behavior, and respect for the hens and rooster, who won't put up with nonsense. In a flock of hatchmates the same age, it's a different experience, but he still has to be reasonably decent, or it's not so good.
Mary

Well Rodger got another attaboy tonight. I got tied up with a long distance phone call from long lost friends, and didn't close up the coop.
As I went out to close it up in the dark, Rodger dove off the roost to challenge mr at the door. Soon as I turned my light on and he realized it was me he went to making strange guttural noises and heads back to the roost.

I talk as I walk to the coop, so they know it's me, and not a bear or something. If one of my roosters charged me knowing it was me, or a human, it wouldn't be good. Try talking on your way to the coop and see if he's polite then. Also make sure he's polite to other people!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom