Roll-away : how can I add it to the coop?

gemd

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
N. TEXAS
I have a coop similar to the attached pic....arrow points to where it opens for eggs, it opens from a latch at the top flipping down if that makes sense.

My ladies and roo are snacking on eggs. They aren't deterred by fake eggs. I tried a roll away plastic tray and they fussed and continually tossed it out of the nesting box/coop area.

I don't want to cull or give away my birds, but I mean I do have them for eggs...I try and collect before they snack on them but I work so I usually miss their egg laying time.

I want to try and add on a roll away nesting box that isn't just a plastic tray... .something that replicates a nesting box like their coop has, one that can't toss aside...in hopes it works. Plus it means less snakes will eat the eggs as well. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230319_105133_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230319_105133_Chrome.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 56
You will probably have to add roll-away type nest boxes to the outside of the coop. If you haven't already tried, give them some extra oyster shells and see if that will take care of their craving, plus the added calcium will make the egg shells thicker and harder to break.

The photo is of a VERY small coop.

What is the square footage of your coop (not counting the nests, and your run? How many chickens do you have?

The usual recommendation is to have at least 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet per bird in the run. Crowding often creates conditions where negative behaviors arise. For example, birds squabbling over space might break eggs in a nest and then start the egg eating cycle.

Show us some photos of your actual coop and run and we might be able to help you maximize what you've got and make modifications that will help.

The photo is of a VERY small coop.

What is the square footage of your coop (not counting the nests, and your run? How many chickens do you have?

The usual recommendation is to have at least 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet per bird in the run. Crowding often creates conditions where negative behaviors arise. For example, birds squabbling over space might break eggs in a nest and then start the egg eating cycle.

Show us some photos of your actual coop and run and we might be able to help you maximize what you've got and make modifications that will help.
It's currently dark so....photos later. I also have an 8x10 run and a 10x12 run with perches and an old dog cage they sleep on top of and also an old dresser with a roof over it the birds will sleep in. They lay in the tiny coop. I have 11 birds.

Back
Top Bottom