1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Roll Away" Nest Boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Eggseronious, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    See new post!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  2. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    I think the term is roll out nest boxes and I have never seen them made from wood but there may be some out there.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Don't know where you can get plans, sorry (tho I'm sure there are some out there somewhere), but I will warn you that I have read almost uniformly negative things about roll-out nest boxes. People who have them tend to say that you can't keep 'em clean no matter what, and it can be awful hard to achieve enough roll that the egg leaves the box but not so much that it breaks.

Just what I've read,

Pat

4. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    Henspa's coop has a roll away nestbox. Foxtrapper used their design and built one in his tractor/coop

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5949&p=2

From his experience, it sounds like it works. I've made one for my tractor/coop but my hens haven't come into llay yet so I don't know how successful they are yet...

cheers
    ozzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by