Roll away nesting box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wdnboat, Jul 28, 2008.

1. wdnboat

wdnboat New Egg

May 5, 2008
    Orchard Park, NY
    Thought you might like to see this nesting box I couldn't live without for easy CLEAN egg collection and cleaning when necessary. Think there would be any interest in getting these on the buy, trade page (wherever that is) I can have them made in 1-6 holers.

I plan on putting this into the wall of my coop, I will not be able to collect from outside but it will be easy to just lift the hatch and collect the eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screen lifts out for easy cleaning !!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    [​IMG]

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You might sell some to local folk, but you might consider selling the plans on HOW to build one for people who want to make their own and don't want to pay shipping on something so large [​IMG]

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    If you reverse the plan you could make one that you can collect from the out side of the coop.

[​IMG]

5. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Can I see a pic of the floor on the inside of the nest box? Also, when the eggs roll, how are they not breaking?

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Very nice! Start sellin' them!

7. SCMtn.ChickenRanch

SCMtn.ChickenRanch New Egg

Jan 8, 2010
    Hey thanks for the images! I just retrofitted my girls' two nesting boxes for roll-away service and followed your design quite a bit (they got a taste for egg). One of them laid an egg outside the new nests, but I guess they're a little shocked by the renovation. It rolled perfectly into the box, without cracking, after I placed it in the nest.

What size is the hardware cloth (steel mesh lining)? I just want to make sure the holes aren't too big for their feet.

Cheers.

-s

8. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:Ditto [​IMG]

9. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:Ditto again [​IMG]

10. ynaught

ynaught New Egg

Jan 20, 2010
    What is the slope on the "floor" of your nests? Do you think it's a good slope?

Has the wire hardware cloth floor worked well for you?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by