Rollaway nest box and raccoons

Sunshade82

Songster
Sep 10, 2020
SW Utah
Has anyone ever had a raccoon or other predator get into the coop via the egg tray on a rollaway nest box? I worry a raccoon could easily lift the lid and perhaps fit inside where the eggs rolls down. Has anyone ever attached some sort of lock on the egg tray? It needs to be easy enough for my 7 year old to open...
(Btw that’s a toy egg. My hens are still freeloaders)
124600C3-87BD-4240-B6B1-CC4759947B93.jpeg

https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-hasp-chicken-coup-carabiner-used-to-secure-farm-image52270011

Link to a stock image of a lock style that works fairly well: easy for people, but apparently a bit too complicated for raccoons. It's a hasp (metal plate that goes over a metal loop), with a carabiner through the loop to keep it closed.

I would consider two hasps, with a carabiner on each. That way, even if a raccoon plays with one and gets it unhooked, it will hopefully decide that the next one is boring (because the first one did not let it get to any food.)

I would recommend attaching a piece of chain or string to each carabiner, tethering it to the structure, so they cannot fall in the mud if dropped.

https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-hasp-chicken-coup-carabiner-used-to-secure-farm-image52270011

Link to a stock image of a lock style that works fairly well: easy for people, but apparently a bit too complicated for raccoons. It's a hasp (metal plate that goes over a metal loop), with a carabiner through the loop to keep it closed.

I would consider two hasps, with a carabiner on each. That way, even if a raccoon plays with one and gets it unhooked, it will hopefully decide that the next one is boring (because the first one did not let it get to any food.)

I would recommend attaching a piece of chain or string to each carabiner, tethering it to the structure, so they cannot fall in the mud if dropped.
Could you show it with the lid closed?
Is the lid clear plastic?
It’s aluminum I think

Attachments

• A6424909-F185-4B5A-B302-0BDA9C2173B8.jpeg
    A6424909-F185-4B5A-B302-0BDA9C2173B8.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 11

I like the look of those. Maybe I’ll add some to the coop/run doors for added protection too. Right now I have a single slide gate latch (with carabiner clip) on each door but I always wonder if a smart raccoon could undo it 😬

For that nestbox, you could make a bar that sits against the building, holding the "handle" of the lid along its whole length. The bar would then be secured at each end. Maybe a hinge or piece of chain at one end, and a latch at the other end.

With bolts and nuts to avoid screw points

Or you could put a block of wood inside so screws run through the latch, through the metal, into the wood. (Better for really thin metal, while bolts, nuts, & washers are a tidier choice if the metal is sturdy enough.)

For that nestbox, you could make a bar that sits against the building, holding the "handle" of the lid along its whole length. The bar would then be secured at each end. Maybe a hinge or piece of chain at one end, and a latch at the other end.

Or you could put a block of wood inside so screws run through the latch, through the metal, into the wood. (Better for really thin metal, while bolts, nuts, & washers are a tidier choice if the metal is sturdy enough.)
Thought of that.....could get kinda complicated.
Yep, if wood wasn't too big not to interfere with eggs inside...pretty small space inside.

Thanks everyone. I definitely will add a lock to the outside egg tray. Now I have a better idea what to look for at the hardware store.
I’m really surprised the company doesn’t have an option with more security. Surprisingly, they haven’t had any customers report predators breaking in through the egg tray. I’m thinking most people have the egg tray in the front position so it’s inside and safer? Either that or their local raccoons aren’t the brightest 😃

Back
Top Bottom