Rolled Oats for Chickens

charlischooks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Has anyone ever given their chickens rolled oats, just plain not cooked. My three chickens go absolutely nutty for them, it is by far their favourite treat and they have come to expect them every day. Do you think there is any problems with feeding them dry oats? They also have access to plenty of greenery, (they free range all day) plus they love their layer mash.

My hens get a "breakfast" of cooked oatmeal (rolled oats) every morning along with their regular feed.
I add plain yogurt and (when I have a surplus) a couple of their eggs - with shells - mixed in.
All of it has extra protein and calcium.
For 4 hens I use about 1 cup of oats, 1 tablespoon yogurt each and 2 eggs.
I also mix in chopped kale in the Winter for some green stuff and a Major Treat is a handful of raisins.

Hello to Queensland!
My Australian WB horse is from there - bred by Jaybee Farms
smile.png

That sounds like a great recipe for Winter here, we are just going into summer now and we are hitting the 33 degree celcius + weather now so trying to think of ways to cool my chickens down! I have heard of freezing water bottles for them and have tried that but they dont seem to pay any attention to them. So will have to think of some frozen treats
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom