Roller/ turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by doxies1, Jan 9, 2011.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    Does anyone know if a rolller/turner has to roll one direction and then the other, or can it roll the eggs completely over in one direction?
    I want to build one but the one direction then the other is a hurdle.

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Egg turners rotate from side to side.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Turners in the Brinsea MiniAdvance go in one direction only. So the eggs are rolled in one direction, but the duration and frequency are adjustable.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    rolling in both directions shouldnt be a problem. I would use a windshieldwiper motion to move the roller. It might take some fiddleing to get the motion just right, but is certainly do-able. Another option would be to use a cam action on your turner motor. This would work like a connecting rod on a crankshaft. To do this, you would need to mount a large flat washer on your turner motor. Drill a hole off center of the washer to connect a shaft to. as the motor turns, it would push the shaft in and out, or up and down every 180* of rotation. You would need to determine how far the roller needs to move in order to get the rotation of the eggs you desire. Then choose a flatwasher with that same diameter. If you dont wnat to use a flat washer, you can always do this,
    [​IMG]

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Some incubators like the Brower roll the eggs continually in one direction. If you are building your own, be aware that turners work so slowly that you can barely tell they are moving. You don't want a rapid or rough movement.

Most eggs get turned approx 3 to 5 times a day. When turning by hand, turn an odd number of times so the eggs do not always spend the night on the same side.

6. 5acrehome

5acrehome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    you can use a D/C motor and reverse the polarity for the change in direction.

7. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Cool ideas so far. I've been thinking about this for a while as well.....I will be keeping an eye on this one for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by