1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rolling stone in the big city

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SeattleAeris, Apr 27, 2007.

1. SeattleAeris

SeattleAeris Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2007
    I jut got a chicken on Friday, I found her roaming around in Seattle. She was very nice and tame. Not to mention rather plump. She is a 5 pound White Rock hen. After an awkward time situating her, she now has a nice big coop all to herself. But she seems to want to wander off into neighbor's yards. I lost her for an hour today, then saw her walking up the driveway like she had just gone for a stroll. What is she doing? I guess its not harmful because she is coming back but there are many raccoons and dogs that could easily kill her. How do I make her stop leaving? She is chicken wired in but that doesn't really stop her.
    Additionally, how can I tell her age?

Also, any other suggestions on raising a hen in the city would be nice, I don't know ANYTHING about it. She is teaching me bit by bit and I use resources like this.

ohh, and I think I should get her some companions maybe, so she isn't lonely. I was thinking Silkie, I love them. Anyone selling Silkies near Seattle?

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    If you can confine her to her coop for a week or so, she will soon learn that it is her home and may not wander so far. You can clip one of her wings if she is flying over the chicken wire enclosure. Additionally, since you mention predators, you might think of covering your run with chicken wire or netting. The coop design and construction area will have tons of info on this.

3. pansophia

pansophia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I know Seattle has a large community of chicken owners and offers classes. I'm from Minneapolis and am going to a community ed class about chickens in a few weeks but I keep reading about Seattle! If you're going to keep her, maybe the class could be useful - plus you might meet other chicken lovers!

http://www.seattletilth.org/classes-and-workshops/citychickens101apr21

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by