Roo as house chicken?

hooligan

Songster
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
Arkansas
Would it be possible to keep a roo as a house chicken?
I was wondering if one would crow even if kept in my bedroom where there is no light, and I mean NO light.
I know it may sound stupid but I am looking into the possiblity of having a house roo
jumpy.gif

A few people on here say that their Cochin roos do not crow.

I know of a SF roo that does not crow I was actually thinking about buing him just because he never crowed... but I thought about it to long and someone else snatched him up.
hmm.png

Maybe you can find a quite roo?

YOu are going to let him out of the dark room during the later part of the day? Right?

lol Yes, he would be in my room while I was sleeping and out after I got up. I was thinking being in a dark room might keep him a little more quite until I got up for work!
gig.gif

The reason I ask this is because if the outside banty that I am considering making an inside bird doesn't work out. I want to be sure if I wind up getting a chick and I get attached I won't have to give it up bc its a roo.

Last edited:
We raised two silkie roos from chicks in the house in a big dog cage in the dining room. They began to crow (which is DEAFENING in a quiet house)
I tried putting a cover over the cage to keep it dark all night, but discovered they crow when they hear a noise such as my alarm at 6AM or even when the cat walks by (all night long). Unless you are a sound sleeper with no close neighbors or find a breed that doesn't crow or is mute, maybe try a hen instead?

Well a hen would be my first choice but as chicks it is hard to tell and I don't need another roo outside so if it turned out to be a roo I would be heartbroken after getting attatched to it if he had to go outside or be re-homed.

I know how you feel. I'm so attached to my little guys. Last week they went on a crowing spree at three AM, I tried everything to make them quiet, treats and picking them up and pacing back and forth with them. Nothing worked. They finally quit at about 7 AM. This week I put them outside with the others. It was hard, I felt like a monster, but they've adjusted and I had my first full nights sleep in two months. Maybe just having one won't be so bad? Hope it works out for you if you decide to go ahead!

My cochin roo does crow even when I darken the windows but he has learned now it is late to bed late to rise. He is pretty good about it but not always.

After about a month or so I started sleeping right through it and I am not a heavy sleeper. Now he will usually crow once or twice when the sun comes up then he will nap till i get up then he will crow. And when I walk in the door after work he crows to greet me.

Our House roo crows every morning at 6 no matter what kind of light he sees. He knows what time it is. I like it, it reminds me how lucky I am to live on a farm. Pepper tends to go on and on and on though for like 10 minutes.
If you go under the roo behavior section, I have written about Pepper, our houst chicken quite extensivly. Or if you have any other questions, please ask. He has lived in the house with us for 4-5 years now!
-Theresa

Back
Top Bottom