Roo attacking for first time- my legs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by @FendiChick, Sep 18, 2011.

1. @FendiChick

@FendiChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2010
    I went to pick up eggs like I do every day. I have a small group of two OEGB hens and one OEGB roo. As I reached for the egg, the roo attacked my legs! Although these birds were not completely hand-raised, I have held them and they have always been friendly. The roo is now 22 weeks old- is it because he has hit puberty? Will he keep doing this? Does it mean the eggs are fertilized? I haven't seen any "chicken action" but I only visit the coop a few times a day on the weekends and only twice during the week. Thanks for any answers. I don't want to be freaked out every time I gather eggs!!

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Definetly not because the eggs are fertilized. Sometimes roosters act up. Their is actually alot of info on here about this. Everyone has their opinion. But their is currently a post on called something like my rooster flogged me tonight. It is really helpful too. As are all of them. Good luck.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Oh, boy. [​IMG] You might want to do a little reading in the behavior section of the forum as there are scads of threads to answer your questions and many methods to consider when stopping this type of behavior.

For my best advice? Read up on Al's super dooper roo persuasion lessons: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=573517

Yes
    , your roo will continue this behavior because he is becoming sexually mature, it doesn't necessarily mean your eggs are fertilized but it means the chances are good that they either are or will be soon. Yes, he will keep doing this unless you nip it in the bud.

I favor Al's methods and have successfully used it on any roos I've had that even looked like they felt froggy in my presence...it has a 100% success rate for me and I've been doing this whole chicken thing for some time now. I don't flap or dance like Al, The Man, but my roos walk a wide path around me all the same. They wouldn't even dream in their little chickeny minds about flogging me....actually, I don't think I've ever been flogged by a roo, come to think about it. Ain't a roo alive that would try it past the dancing stage before I gave him an attitudinal adjustment.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    YUP that was the post I was talking about. Thanks Beekissed. I could not remember. It has been a very long day. LOL

5. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Thank you. I did several searches to no avail before I posted my question. I will read up- thank you again.

6. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    I don't have a ton of information about rooster behavior but I can tell you that I "dog whispered" the two roosters I've had and it worked. Basically, if you're not familiar with The Dog Whisper, you have to become the "pack" or in this case the "flock" leader. If you'd like me to elaborate on what I did I'd be happy to but it also looks like you have some other really great resources too. Good luck.

7. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    I read the Al thread and what he did was to sort of beat up his roo, but the roo didn't get hurt. I don't know if I can kick my roo. I can do the intimidating looks- no problem. I can go in there with an attitude...but I don't know if I can "box" with my roo. But after reading the responses here, I am afraid this situation will continue unless I do fight with him. I don't want to hurt him!

I would appreciate more advice if anyone has an alternative. I will check the board again later tonight. Thank you again.

8. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Oh yes, chickschool, if you have time to elaborate, please do. I am familiar with the "dog whisperer" and have three dogs, a rabbit, a sun conure--- never had a behavioral problem with a pet or animal that I couldn't tackle. I just don't know what to do about "rhodie" the roo [​IMG]

9. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    we have had a few roosters that got aggersive and they wouldnt stop attacking us each time we went to the coop and after one attacked a three year old we made chicken pot pie. we dont keep any mean roosters, if they attack us we either kill them or sell them. someone told me to carry a mean rooster around alot to show dominice (im sure i spelt that wrong) not sure it works but its worth the try:)

10. 7kids12hens

7kids12hens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    I also got flogged by my hand-fed 6mo old rooster. I found good information on the shilala homestead website. I'm not sure of the exact web address, but you can google it and find it. When I started looking for info on raising a nice rooster, I kept finding info on training roosters for cockfighting. (That must be legal in some places - I can't believe that). Anyway, the next 2 times I went out, I had to push him back with my foot, as he was in full out attack mode. The third time he approached me, I leaned down just a little and stared at him and he was staring at me. It lasted most of a minute I'm sure. I stared until he backed down and walked away. I did this for the rest of the day. I did that for a couple of days until I could get the confidence to approach him. He didn't even approach me after the first day. I fed him out of my hand a couple of days, and then I chased him into a corner and picked him up and held him. He calmed down immediately after picking him up. You have to do it, and you can do it. if you're going to be scared of him, then rehome him or eat him. I felt very proud after doing that and very bonded with him. Its amazing how the switch just seemed to flip with him. I wonder if that Is that typical with roosters?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by