Roo attacking Hen?!

Phantom_k9

Songster
Oct 29, 2019
North Texas
My Coop
My Coop
No, its not mating. (I think)

Just a day or two ago, our Roo was chasing one of our hens around. When my mother got to the scene, they were both starring each other off, heads down, neck feathers out. I have no idea what could have caused this, since they have been fine for a while now.

Is it a rooster, or a cockerel? If it’s a cockerel, I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s just the pecking order. If it’s a roo, I would be concerned if he was hurting a hen.

Pecking order squabbles. If they're not holding each other down and beating mercilessly, it's just pecking order squabbles. Don't interfere- if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Pecking order squabbles. If they're not holding each other down and beating mercilessly, it's just pecking order squabbles. Don't interfere- if it's not broken, don't fix it.
Dang, why does the pecking order have to look so brutal? I guess I'll just take my approach to roo fights; don't intervene unless its going to far

the cockerel* is 7 months, the hen is 19 months
That explains it. She is an adult that does not accept his disrespectful and probably outright impudent hormonal behaviour.

If he wants to breed he needs to learn how to properly woo a hen and prove himself to be a worthy mate: Find treats and instead of gulping them down himself, feed them to the hen, call her to the feed and water, show her where to lay her eggs and prepare the nest for her, stay there with her until she is done laying or come running when she calls after laying to accompany her back to the flock, dance around her, watch out for predators and warn and protect them of any possible danger etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom