roo behavior

JayDe

Songster
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Lithia, FL
We have three roos in our little flock and just this week I noticed a new behavior. They will walk up to something...crouch down with their chest to the floor, make a clucking noise and peck at the ground. They kinda scoot closer to the object (usually a brick or some plastic garden edging...even the steps to the porch) while making the sound. I haven't noticed them doing it necessarily near the hens they keep trying to mate with.. So what is the function of this "hennish" behavior? It reminds me of the hen before she lays..fixing her nest.

Roosters will do this when ever they find something interesting they want to show to other chickens. The clucking sound will often have the hens running to see what they found.

It's rather normal. Roosters have a lot of different behaviors, which makes them so neat. I especially love their wide vocabulary and the cute "chook chook chook" sounds they make when trying to lure a hen to some sort of food they found.
love.gif

Quote:
My former rooster used to do this to draw a hen close to him. Once she got within striking range, BAM! She was mated. I often wondered why the hens never caught on to his little trick.

Quote:
My former rooster used to do this to draw a hen close to him. Once she got within striking range, BAM! She was mated. I often wondered why the hens never caught on to his little trick.

Oh come on, tell me you don't know any women like that
wink.png

Quote:

Oh come on, tell me you don't know any women like that
wink.png

I'm not! My DH starts being extra sweet to me, I start looking around for trouble.
tongue.gif

So far, no one is interested in his "calling" them over..they kinda ignore the poor guy. I figured it was something like that, but since no one was responding, I wasn't sure what the function might be. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom