roo behavior?

lymanmomof3

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Southern Maine
Hello,

When I get home from work I let my 4 almost-seven-week old pullets out of their run to do some free-ranging (aka, follow me around the yard). Yesterday, when it was time for them to have dinner and go to bed I led the way back to the coop and 3 out of 4 followed me. My Buff Orp got left behind and looked like a deer in headlights, too afraid to move. She started squawking in fear and I stopped and tried to encourage her to catch up. My Australorp took it one step further and went and got her (!!) and came back to us together.

Was this sisterly behavior or roo behavior? My first thought was "Nooo! Please don't be a roo!" But then I thought, maybe she is just top sistah chicken? She hasn't ever shown behavior like this. Then I started thinking about it and yesterday while they were free-ranging, anytime they would come out from the safety of the woods to join me, they were led by her. They've only been out in their coop for 4 days so it's possible they are starting to develop an order that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for any advice!

That is more like motherly behaviour in my experience. My roos won't go 'get them' they just call them to a tidbit of food instead of walking all that way :rolleyes:

Pictures would help us identify any possible boys. 7 weeks is a good age to start.

I will have to get a good pic of her. I have one in my avatar and one in my introduction thread. I wasn't able to attach a picture here. (Still learning the ropes). I much prefer thinking she was being motherly! That is very sweet. They are all so darn sweet to each other and with me.
love.gif

[COLOR=800080]I will have to get a good pic of her. I have one in my avatar and one in my introduction thread. I wasn't able to attach a picture here. (Still learning the ropes). I much prefer thinking she was being motherly! That is very sweet. They are all so darn sweet to each other and with me. :love [/COLOR]
The picture is not detailed enough for me to take a good guess, but it looks to be an Easter Egger Pullet :) Very pretty too!

Yep, that's an Easter Egger Pullet--my sassy Tilda McNugget...the black beauty behind her is the one I was questioning...I'm gonna have to wait with bated breath to see if my darling Minnie Mae starts crowing. I have another pic of the two of them lounging on me in my gallery.

I finally got a really good pic of my questionable chicken. She is still exhibiting signs of being a rooster. Just a very very strong leader. Always in front of the line and always aware.

Back
Top Bottom