roo favoring one hen..

LindsayB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Cypress, Texas
I set 18 coturnix eggs about 5 days ago and candled today...only 8 developed and the rest weren't even fertile. (I broke them open to check). I have 1 male and 3 girls for him but I've only seen mate with one. Plus shes the only one with messed up feathers. What is wrong with my rooster?! Is he just a one woman man? Lol

I set 18 coturnix eggs about 5 days ago and candled today...only 8 developed and the rest weren't even fertile. (I broke them open to check). I have 1 male and 3 girls for him but I've only seen mate with one. Plus shes the only one with messed up feathers. What is wrong with my rooster?! Is he just a one woman man? Lol
I've had this happen before but have yet to find a solution. Sometimes it's actually the hens not tolerating being covered, if the roo isn't dominant enough they just sort of...punk him...for lack of a better description.

You can try removing the hens to a different cage for a couple of days then putting them back with him. This can sometimes take them down a peg or two so he can feel more dominant.

This will happen sometimes, you're just unlucky. Sorry to say this but I don't think you can fix his behavior unless you give him some T :p

I'll see what kind of males hatch out of this batch. May end up changing things around. Probably my own stupidity. ..I liked this male bc he was quiet and didn't tear up the girls..

Back
Top Bottom