Roo having gender issues?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tomhusker, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I collected eggs from our Barred Rocks early today, I guess they had plans and wanted to get them done and over with. Later in the dayI went out to check to see if BR #4 had started laying again and was very pleased to catch a glimpse of some lavender feathers in one of the nest boxes. I know our Lavender Orpingtons are 22 weeks and approaching POL and was hoping today was the day. I opened the egg door and found in the bottom left nest box one 22 week old, perfectly healthy Lavender Orpington..... ROO!

[​IMG] He seemed comfy so I left him there. I hope he was checking out the facilities for his two girls.

2. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had one at about 27 weeks of age, actually sitting on an egg. He only did that once as far as I know.

Ed

3. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    He sounds a bit confused. Does he have a good roo role model he looks up to that can maybe give him some advice? [​IMG]

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    From what I've read of other people's experiences, some roos spend time in the nest boxes to sort of "point out" that it's a good place for the girls to lay their eggs.

5. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Quote:Until about 4 weeks ago we had a BR roo that ruled the roost. He was culled due to a respiratory illness. I have been waiting for this LO to step up but he still allows the BR to push him around. (The BR's are 6 weeks older) No crowing at all, but he does seem to discipline all of the others, besides the BR's. I think one of our Jersey Giants will be BMOC eventually. I'm ok with that, but I will build a bachelor pad for the other two who are not top dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by