Roo-Hitler??? Your advice needed...LIFE or DEATH!!!

definetlydeb

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Tioga/Potter County
Hi everybody, well my flock is now 15 weeks old, I have 2 Roos and 4 ladies. Here is my dilemma...my RIR roo...acts like Hitler..he parades himself around the coop and seems to have all of the others running to get from him. He is tryin' to breed with the ladies, and has been pulling feathers out of thier necks...which as I have read is normal and should change with age....well, he flogged me last night, he has shown some aggression towards me in the near past, but just chalked it off....last night...went into coop...and first he dropped his wing, started to dance...and came at me...flapping...flapping!!! Now, my other roo...is very quiet, for fact I think he is just starting to do the crow thing, but Hitler definetly keeps him in order...he is always attacking him...so...now, I am nervous to go to my coop, I want to beat him with a stick...I cannot have a fear of going to my coop, or some stupid roo...I know I sound mean, but I have fed this monster and now he thinks he is the boss...I have always tried to show dominance toward the roos, but...ummm...guess I didn't do it right. So here is the question, will he change or am I right in thinking that I should just eliminate the issue. I hate the thoughts of culling, but I will not live in fear of him!!! Please help me do the right thing...he is just starting to get all his saddle feathers and is really going to be handsome...but..that really means nothing...I would take an ugly, nice roo over a sexy Hilter any day!!!

Quote:
Get rid of Hitler!!! It will only get worse with him I swear:( Also it will be better for the hens because 2 roos for 4 girls is way too many!

Thanks and that is what I thought, I was hoping to keep him, because he is very handsome and was going to get rid of the other (only planned on 1 roo, we know how that goes), but guess...looks aren't important....all I keep thinkin' is...OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!! I know I am horrible!!! So...two votes...elimination!!!

My 2 bug roos are wonderful boys. They never get aggressive and will come grab treats from my hand to give to whoever will take them. They will even tolerate me picking them up on occasion when I want someone to see how beautiful they are. They are White Rocks which are nothing special and certainly not fancy but they are good roosters. Get rid of him. There are many good roosters out there.

You should NOT feel you are horrible or mean, or even that you did something wrong, by making grilled chicken of him. It is sensible flock management. He is already fortunate for having lived a good chicken life thus far. His behavior is hormonal, not taught. Not all males will get the message that you are the lead roo. Also, your girls don't need a roo who mates too roughly (they will grab but not necessarily pull neck feathers,) and it's probably not a good idea to allow a rooster like this to reproduce.

Just my opinion, of course. He is at the age I like to cull extra males -- still pretty tender.

IF you REALLY want to keep him here's what I would try.. the next time he goes to get stupid.. grab him.. doesn't matter if its his neck or wing.. whatever is handy.. then grab his feet and hang him upside down til he stops flapping his wings (should only take a minute.. if that long).. when he submits and stops flapping his wings.. turn him around and tuck him under your arm and carry his around like a football for a bit.. do this every time he starts to act like Hitler.. should only take a few times before he decides that coming after you is a really bad idea. IF he doesn't get the hint.. then send him to Freezer Camp

This has worked with 90% of the nasty roos I have had that I wanted to keep.. my husband just puts on his Army boots and kicks them across the yard like a football

Hi Deb.

I would just cull him. He'll make a good soup. With just four hens, you would only want one rooster anyhow. (I'll bet the other rooster would appreciate that too).

Don't feel bad. I've been in the same boat. Had a HUGE BCM rooster who was very aggressive early on. He stalked me, and a few times flew right at my face! I started carrying a rolled up newspaper to beat him off. I really had to watch my back.

I did try to show him dominance by chasing him down when he did that, and giving him the boot a few times, but every day, it was the same thing....He would stalk me from behind, and attack me and I would wack him away with whatever was in my hand.....

I now have a nice rooster that pays me the proper respect and I really enjoy my flock. (I have 19 chickens and 2 young turkeys.) I sit outside every day around 7pm or so and watch them running around, eating grass and playing....It's so enjoyable!

Take care, and remember, don't feel bad, you have a right to ENJOY your little flock!

I would not even bother to try to modify the antics of a screw ball roo when there was a need to cull one anyway.

Nothing to feel bad about your hens will love you for it. Have the other roo around while you dispatch the screwball just so he gets the idea. I doubt it realy sinks in on them, but a feel good thing none the less to show the other roo who is really boss.

Just remember that the subordinate roo may step up and become more aggressive after Hitler is gone. Then you'll need to decide if you want a rooster or not, or just have a bigger pot of stew! Good luck.

Hi, Deb-- you are almost a neighbor of mine--I'm up in Allegany County in NY......
I've only had chickens for about 1 and 1/2 yrs. now, but I've learned that a mean rooster can take all the fun and enjoyment out of it for both you and the birds...I am about to cull 2 roosters myself, but I know it is the right thing for me to do.....
Good luck on whatever you decide...
Pat

Back
Top Bottom