Roo issues

Molly1090

Chirping
Aug 5, 2019
I have 3 roosters who have all gotten along great for a couple of years, until this weekend. My legbar got caught in some netting that fell yesterday and I had to get him out. He wasn’t injured. Today I went out and he was isolated from the others. I fed him some scratch and some hens came over. He was fine until my silver spangled Hamburg came over. The legbar got nervous and the Hamburg tried to fight him. Legbar quickly ran away to a corner. I picked up the Hamburg and held him for about 15 minutes. The rest of the flock and the 3rd roo had no issues being around the legbar.
I went back as they were headed into the coop and the legbar was still away from the main flock but had some hens by him. The Hamburg did a lot of flapping and mating but didn’t get close to the legbar or try to fight. Hamburg and the rest entered the coop. Legbar wanted to enter but was nervous. He went in, but came back out and Hamburg started crowing from in the coop. I couldn’t get the legbar back in. I went and took out the Hamburg and separated him for the night. Legbar immediately went in the coop but stayed on the floor. I put him up on the roost. Hamburg is mad in his own pen in the garage.
Is there a way to solve this? All of them are people friendly and I’d hate to have to get rid of one, but if i need to the Hamburg will go. I got the legbar from a friend who couldn’t bear to take him to auction and asked me to take him. He will always have a place in my flock. I’m hoping that legbar will gain a little confidence back in a day or two, though he was not top dog in his prior flock. Will Hamburg just start back up when he comes back? Will a vacation knock him down a peg or two? Thanks.

I have 3 roosters who have all gotten along great for a couple of years, until this weekend. My legbar got caught in some netting that fell yesterday and I had to get him out. He wasn’t injured. Today I went out and he was isolated from the others. I fed him some scratch and some hens came over. He was fine until my silver spangled Hamburg came over. The legbar got nervous and the Hamburg tried to fight him. Legbar quickly ran away to a corner. I picked up the Hamburg and held him for about 15 minutes. The rest of the flock and the 3rd roo had no issues being around the legbar.
I went back as they were headed into the coop and the legbar was still away from the main flock but had some hens by him. The Hamburg did a lot of flapping and mating but didn’t get close to the legbar or try to fight. Hamburg and the rest entered the coop. Legbar wanted to enter but was nervous. He went in, but came back out and Hamburg started crowing from in the coop. I couldn’t get the legbar back in. I went and took out the Hamburg and separated him for the night. Legbar immediately went in the coop but stayed on the floor. I put him up on the roost. Hamburg is mad in his own pen in the garage.
Is there a way to solve this? All of them are people friendly and I’d hate to have to get rid of one, but if i need to the Hamburg will go. I got the legbar from a friend who couldn’t bear to take him to auction and asked me to take him. He will always have a place in my flock. I’m hoping that legbar will gain a little confidence back in a day or two, though he was not top dog in his prior flock. Will Hamburg just start back up when he comes back? Will a vacation knock him down a peg or two? Thanks.
TL/DR: one roo started bullying another and the other is terrified. What do I do?

The Legbar was vulnerable. The Hamburg noted this and took advantage. The balance of power shifted.

It will probably settle down and shift back, but they might do a bit of sparring to get there.

Good call separating the Hamburg for a little while. Just watch them when you reintegrate him. It will probably all be fine in the long term. They have a way of sorting things out, especially if they have lived together for years.

Thanks. The legbar is pretty docile and won’t fight back. It’s fine as long as they can cohabitate but he was isolating and afraid to enter the coop. I’ll try to reintegrate and see what happens otherwise I’ll try to rehome the Hamburg. How long should I leave the Hamburg separated?

There's no good answer for this one, separation could make things worse too. Want to build another coop and run instead? If not, just see if they can get along peacefully again.
@Shadrach might have suggestions for you.
Mary

I took the Hamburg back in and he challenged the legbar. The legbar fought back and they sparred for about a minute and a half and then the Hamburg gave up. Seems like they are back to normal. Thank you all for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom