roo might loose his toes

Chick_in_Indiana

Songster
12 Years
Dec 14, 2007
NE Indiana
earlier in the year i posted pics of my RIR's badly fost bitten toes. i did everything i could and i was able to keep any infection out. he is doing fine w/ everyday living. he still free ranges and spends a little time w/ his favorite hens;) but he still hobbles. it looks like his toes might fall off since they are, well, dead. this would leave about half of what he had before. would he still be able to walk? or would the humane thing be to do the unthinkable:hit any advice or anyone who has had similar experiences please help. thanks, Krista

I saw a post on here a while back that someone had made some feet for a hen that lost her toes and she seemed to be doing ok-I dont know what they made them from-the post was about someone using bantys for coyote bate and this person was rescuing them and one had lost her toes

edited: I think he would be happy to live if he could get around (maybe not perfect) but i suppose you would have to make that decision

Last edited:
I have also heard of stories of birds with no toes living just fine. I think a few members here have toeless chickens that are living just fine and are happy. If you think they are suffering, then let them go, if they have a good will to live and can get around, let them stay! I hear someone made booties for their "stumpy" too so that the leg stumps wouldn't get damaged or infected from running around. Good luck!

Yep, if they lose toes, they will adapt. As long as they can still get around, I would keep them. Make sure next year you provide bigger roosts for them so their feathers cover their toes when they are on the roost, and you won't have this problem again. Good luck!

Quote:
He has frostbite? Im here in indiana and leave my babies out in all weather. their coop isn't insulated, just wood and they are fine...wow. He must be sensitive!

He has frostbite? Im here in indiana and leave my babies out in all weather. their coop isn't insulated, just wood and they are fine...wow. He must be sensitive!

No, frostbite can occur very easy in the toes if the roosts are too small. If the roosts are small, the toes of the bird stick out from under their feathers when they are on it. This exposes them to the elements, and they will get frostbite. You might want to check out this on my website concerning frostbite issues.​

We have a rescued banty who lost all of her toes to frost bite last winter she gets along just fine. she's more sensative to the cold than the others. We also had to change the roost since she cant grasp on to anything (2x4 on its side to sit on).

Will and can do fine but I would restrict his ranging activities perhaps using a portable tractor when the season allows... his ability to dodge attacks from other birds or preds will be limited.

Who here rescued all of the chickens with really bad feet, some just nubs? OzarkHen got some of the chickens shipped to her. The other member has photos of the little silkie cross roos with nothing but stubs and it gets around fairly well to my understanding.

Back
Top Bottom