Roo or hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rainlips, Nov 14, 2013.

1. rainlips

rainlips Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan
    I have a Barred rock that I was pretty sure it was a hen but the last week or so she has been climbing on the other hens like a roo. Is this action part of the pecking order or could she be a he? Has anyone ever experienced this with their girls?

[​IMG]
    (I will post pics of her tail and legs tomorrow)

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    That's not a barred rock hen , it looks to be a Dominique/ easter egger cross . I think its a rooster too.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. X2

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x3, from the muff and comb he is most definitely not a Barred Rock (most likely som ekind of EE cross maybe with a Dominique), he's also a rooster as I can see saddle feathers near his tail area.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mixed breed rooster.

6. rainlips

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan
    Well..... Shoot! Lol
    I was way off! That helps a lot!!!! Not what I want to hear [​IMG] but thank you!!!

7. rainlips

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan
    One more question.... Will too many rooters cause the hens too much stress and stop them from laying? We got a set of 6 "hens" this past fall and 2 of those have turned out to be roos not counting the 2 we already had.
    I plan on sending at least 2 to freezer camp anyway but just wondering if it's why I'm not getting eggs...

8. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Yes, hens can be stressed out if they are being chased constantly by a bunch of roosters. I would only recommend only one rooster unless you have 12+ hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by