Roo or Hen???

jackiehershfeld

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
Maryland

Hopefully my images work - not sure if my Barred Rock is a roo or a hen - about 13-15 weeks old.

I could go either way...at 13 to 15 weeks...Barred Rocks for me can be difficult to sex as the girls can mature faster (but generally not as fast as the roos) and some roos are slow to develop. And yes, I know a lot on BYC members can sex them from the barring color alone...but that just hasn't always worked for me if you've only got one Barred and nothing to compare to it unless it's really clear double barring....some of them are just close to my bespeckled eyes.

I think I may be seeing some flash on shiny hackle feathers which could indicate roo...however while the comb and wattles are bigger, they could be an early maturing hen.

A profile shot would help.

Here's a photo of my 10 week Barred Rock rooster for comparison

...all to say there may be hope.

Lady of McCamley

I could go either way...at 13 to 15 weeks...Barred Rocks for me can be difficult to sex as the girls can mature faster (but generally not as fast as the roos) and some roos are slow to develop. And yes, I know a lot on BYC members can sex them from the barring color alone...but that just hasn't always worked for me if you've only got one Barred and nothing to compare to it unless it's really clear double barring....some of them are just close to my bespeckled eyes.

I think I may be seeing some flash on shiny hackle feathers which could indicate roo...however while the comb and wattles are bigger, they could be an early maturing hen.

A profile shot would help.

Here's a photo of my 10 week Barred Rock rooster for comparison

...all to say there may be hope.

Lady of McCamley
Thank you all! I saw some flashing today in the tail feathers - beautiful emerald green almost. So Im thinking that its a roo. Two roos, one coop. . . ruh roh!

Back
Top Bottom