Roo pecking hens

Tamrajh

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
West Haven
My roo has been a sweet young roo until recently. He's only a little over a year old and is gentle as can be, although he doesn't like to be touched, which is fine. Lately though, he's been pecking some of the hens on the back of the head or on their backs. He's actually chased two of them down to do it. This isn't the kind of chasing that ends in mating, this ends in him pecking them and them running away from him.
I'm getting a little worried about it because now I'm starting to see some of the other hens do it to hens too where no one used to do it.
Why are they suddenly pecking each other?
Food hasn't changed, there are less chickens in the run, plenty of water and room. The only thing that's changed is that we introduced pine shavings as laying material in the laying boxes (which they all seem to hate and I'm clearing out tomorrow).

Last year I removed the roo and alpha hen due to this nonsense. The roo got lucky and was rehomed. The hen went to freezer camp. The only thing I hate worse than a flogging roo is one that abuses his ladies. My flock was so much happier without the stress of them being there.

About the time this started my girls quit laying eggs too. I'm wondering how much the two things are related...

Quote:
Very good chance it is related. Stress in a flock is never a good thing and affects the birds in many ways. My girls slowed down also. Bad birds will ruin the dynamics of the whole flock. About 2 days after removing the offenders the laying resumed.

Back
Top Bottom