roo question .. please help

Wendy'sChicksRock

Songster
9 Years
Aug 8, 2010
Oakland county ,MI
I have 2 roo's ( who are my favorite hens
hit.gif
) they are young and very friendly. I do have to get ride of them cuz roo's are not allowed.
sad.png
... We really want to watch them grow and see the changes they go thru but Im wondering if it would be better for my hens to get ride of them know. They are not mean or pushy with the girls yet, in fact they are way down on the pecking order. Im just not sure if it will cause a tizzy when they do go.These boys come running to me from across the yard,jump up in my lap and settle down for a nap. I love them
love.gif
and would keep them if I could. so, should they go ASAP or can I keep them for a while? anyone need some nice BR roo's? The tought of them being someones dinner makes me sad.
hit.gif

I just had to re-home 4 cockerels and I have at least 4 more that are going to have to go before too long. It's hard to do but unfortunately sometimes it has to be done. I held on to mine until they started crowing and getting aggressive... that made it easier to give them away.
wink.png

On the one hand, it may be easier for them to adjust if they go to a new flock now; on the other hand, they may be more assertive in a few months, and be able to handle mean, bossy new wives. Your hens will miss them when they're gone, even at this age (I have a couple of roosters the same age, and my hens already cluster around them like devoted groupies) and whether they go now or later - the hens will seem sad and a little lost for a few days. At least that's been my experience. But if these boys are sweet and friendly, I'll bet you can find them homes. Some people want roosters, but only nice ones, and they are not always so easy to come by. I'm sorry, so sad. Good luck.

Wendy'sChicksRock :

I have 2 roo's ( who are my favorite hens
hit.gif
) they are young and very friendly. I do have to get ride of them cuz roo's are not allowed.
sad.png
... We really want to watch them grow and see the changes they go thru but Im wondering if it would be better for my hens to get ride of them know. They are not mean or pushy with the girls yet, in fact they are way down on the pecking order. Im just not sure if it will cause a tizzy when they do go.These boys come running to me from across the yard,jump up in my lap and settle down for a nap. I love them
love.gif
and would keep them if I could. so, should they go ASAP or can I keep them for a while? anyone need some nice BR roo's? The tought of them being someones dinner makes me sad.
hit.gif

Do it now. Save yourself delayed grief.

As for them being dinner, well.. there is no way to sugar coat the possibility. You can only hope.​

Back
Top Bottom