1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thumbless, Oct 14, 2009.

1. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    How many hens can one roo service?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If I remember correctly the rule of thumb says 8 to 10. My roo has 13 girls and I still have a high fertility rate.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It depends on the individual rooster. Some just have more vitality than others. Older roosters seem to slow down. The bantams are normally more active than the full sized fowl. The rules of thumb I have seen are 10 to 12 hens for a full sized rooster and 12 to 15 for a bantam.

I'd expect a normal active rooster to handle more than this, but these numbers are supposed to give you a lot of assurance they are all fertile. Gritsar has Brahmas, a large full-sized breed. By the guidelines, 13 should be too many since the Brahmas are so big, but it is obviously not. Of course, her rooster Thor is still kind of young.

Growing up, we had a mixed flock of full sized chickens (they were mutts but from RIR, Dominique, Leghorn, and such stock) and often had a ratio of around 20 hens to one rooster. Most of the eggs we set hatched. I don't know how many of the failures were due to fertility or something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by