1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo with an injured wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckintexan, May 8, 2017.

1. cluckintexan

cluckintexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2017
    Joshua, Texas
    A few of my chickens got out yesterday, I'm still not sure how. One of them was my feisty little roo. The three hens that followed him are ok. One i retrieved from my dog and other than terrified and covered in drool, she is good. Davey has a small injury on his wing, i cleaned it the best i could, but i didnt want to cause him extra pain. There is some dried blood under a feather and I'm worried the other chickens will peck at it. I have a XL dog crate... could i put him in the run with the chickens in that crate so they're around each other but inaccessible to each other? I currently have him in a pet taxi inside so i can keep an eye on him.

2. cluckintexan

Apr 30, 2017
    Joshua, Texas
    Any help from anyone?[​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Cleaning the wound with a saline solution/iodine and keeping him separate for a day before returning him to the flock should be ok. From what i can see it doesn't look too serious. As long as there are no signs of blood after you have cleaned the wound and isolated him for a day, he should he fine with his flock mates

4. cluckintexan

Apr 30, 2017
    Joshua, Texas
    @CTKen thank you. It's not a bad wound I just didn't want to make is worse having 7 girls chasing him to peck at it.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You've done the right thing and he'll be fine as long as the wound is clean and there's no sign of blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by