Roo?

Jul 19, 2021
Hi, we’re trying to figure out for sure if this is a roo or not. We bought 4 chicks and 1 is definitely a rooster (a copper marlin), but trying to figure out if this one is too. My daughters love these chicks and we need to find a good home for the rooster(s) ASAP since we can’t have them where we live. But wanted to figure out first if I need to find a home for 1 or 2 roosters. It’d be better to take them together if thus

Thanks so much for helping determine if this is a roo or not! 4 months old.

Attachments

• 2F7B0AC1-FEBE-4ED5-BC76-27E909F85D5E.jpeg
    2F7B0AC1-FEBE-4ED5-BC76-27E909F85D5E.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8336.jpg
    IMG_8336.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8326.jpg
    IMG_8326.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
It's a hen. There are usually longer feathers on the back of a rooster and in the tail. That's a key sign for a roo. Also, the comb and waddle are very small signaling a hen. Roos are also bigger.

The coloring of this bird would most likely be male. Pullets looking that white would be unusual outside of high quality breeding. A picture of the feathers on the back (saddle) may help. To look for yourself cockerals will start to get pointed feathers at about this age.

Hi, we’re trying to figure out for sure if this is a roo or not. We bought 4 chicks and 1 is definitely a rooster (a copper marlin), but trying to figure out if this one is too. My daughters love these chicks and we need to find a good home for the rooster(s) ASAP since we can’t have them where we live. But wanted to figure out first if I need to find a home for 1 or 2 roosters. It’d be better to take them together if thus

Thanks so much for helping determine if this is a roo or not! 4 months old.
Can you get a better picture of his saddle area? I believe it is a cockerel, though. He doesn’t have very visible saddles for a male, so I’d like to be sure.
Attached more pix of that area. :)

Back
Top Bottom