roo ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Chicken Obsessed

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Last summer had a hen go broody, got eggs from a wonderful stranger, and hatched them out, not pure bred, but I was happy. Decided to keep one red one with a green tail for my rooster. He is going on 5 months. He has in the flock 4 older layers, and 3 pullets the same age as he is. I just keep them all together. He does not act roo like yet, still a bit smaller than the layers, and does not crow. I culled the rest of the roos.

My plan is just to keep them all together in the flock, and eventually he will grow up and start being like a roo, will this work? The older hens will give him a good peck every so often, but for the most part they all get along. It is just the right size flock for my set up. I have read about introducing roos to a flock, but never raising a roo in the flock. I can't see why this won't work, but thought I would ask.

mk

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    yup give him time. It would be great if you could show us a pic of him.

3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Montgomery County, TX
    My rooster "matured" around 4 months. He had a weird crow at first but eventually got it right. The mating thing took a little longer.

When he first got interested in the pullets, he had trouble figuring out how to subdue and mount them. They did not like having their combs chomped and that earned him a feed scoop at high velocity. He softened his approach with the ladies and had some success.

He has been kind of hit and miss as a progenitor . That is OK since I really got him to keep the hens alive when trouble comes calling .

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    he should do fine. A word of advice make sure he knows you are alfa.

5. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    When my boys were smaller than the hens, they got bossed by the girls. Now the shoe is on the other foot. Actually, you have a good situation. IMO it is much more difficult to introduce a mature roo into your flock.

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Chicken Obsessed

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    good, I will try and put a picture, he has a muff, all red and a dark green tail!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by