Roofing slope and insulation questions

Angelbirdy

Songster
Jun 18, 2020
Los Alamos, NM
My Coop
My Coop
So, my new old coop build is leaving me with some questions. My coop will be 3X11 and 6.5 feet tall (raised) at the A-line roof. I want to build a walk in run and I’m not sure how to do a partly covered run and still have slope so that rain doesn’t pour into the yard. Should I have the slope go at a 90 degree angle from the left to right end instead of following the coop slope?
I also have access to insulation and styrofoam and I’m not sure if I should insulate. Our winters are sunny but can have heavy winds and temps in the teens.

So, my new old coop build is leaving me with some questions. My coop will be 3X11 and 6.5 feet tall (raised) at the A-line roof. I want to build a walk in run and I’m not sure how to do a partly covered run and still have slope so that rain doesn’t pour into the yard. Should I have the slope go at a 90 degree angle from the left to right end instead of following the coop slope?
I also have access to insulation and styrofoam and I’m not sure if I should insulate. Our winters are sunny but can have heavy winds and temps in the teens.
No insulation. Temps in the teens is considered warm in winter here.
Please provide pictures of the coop and the area you plan to build the run.

Pics?
It is really hard to "see" what you see with just words.

If you don't have it yet even a drawing with approximated measurements would help.
Sorry about that, I have just taken pictures, the coop will be built out from the current tiny coop, extending making the fence line. I don’t plan to access the back end along the fence, and will have permanent vents there. There’s a downslope from the far end of the shed and we will build the run out 8-10 feet from the 11’ foot long coop, parallel to the shed. I’d like to make use of the shed wall to reduce fencing needed of possible, but not sure if it will work. I will likely have the high point of the run and human door at the upslope end. I’m concerned about water running down the upper hill into the coop and run and will level out the entire length of the coop footprint and install a gutter along the lower end of the run roofing near the shed. The coop access points will be inside the run and at the top end of the run near the human entry.it will be raised enough and have swing doors for easy wheelbarrow cleaning. Prevailing wind, rain, and snow comes from the NW, on a diagonal from the open/left end of the shed. I’m hoping the shed and a sloped run roof will help with that.
6D087B21-A8E0-4F10-8F51-0BB6C1482CC4.jpeg
C6C513EF-B63E-4E19-96D8-F20EEF63F64A.jpeg
BD89FF8A-0BB8-449F-B5E9-185366615E58.jpeg

Sorry about that, I have just taken pictures, the coop will be built out from the current tiny coop, extending making the fence line. I don’t plan to access the back end along the fence, and will have permanent vents there. There’s a downslope from the far end of the shed and we will build the run out 8-10 feet from the 11’ foot long coop, parallel to the shed. I’d like to make use of the shed wall to reduce fencing needed of possible, but not sure if it will work. I will likely have the high point of the run and human door at the upslope end. I’m concerned about water running down the upper hill into the coop and run and will level out the entire length of the coop footprint and install a gutter along the lower end of the run roofing near the shed. The coop access points will be inside the run and at the top end of the run near the human entry.it will be raised enough and have swing doors for easy wheelbarrow cleaning. Prevailing wind, rain, and snow comes from the NW, on a diagonal from the open/left end of the shed. I’m hoping the shed and a sloped run roof will help with that.View attachment 2226648View attachment 2226649View attachment 2226650

With those super short prefab coops I recommend putting the whole thing in a hoop run.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threadloom/search?query=Hoop coop&tab=620

The prefab coops are not secure from predators for many reasons. Enclosing it in a hoop run will fix that and a hoop run set up at 8' wide is a tad over 6' tall.

Should I have the slope go at a 90 degree angle from the left to right end instead of following the coop slope?
Yes, you could do that.
Might not need much slope but some is needed,
a gutter might help too depending on the slope of the ground,
you don't want any of the roof run offs flooding the run.
Will the coop be in the shed in the back ground of the tiny coop?

Yes, you could do that.
Might not need much slope but some is needed,
a gutter might help too depending on the slope of the ground,
you don't want any of the roof run offs flooding the run.
Will the coop be in the shed in the back ground of the tiny coop?
I wish! We need that for our tools and lack of garage. We finished the raised platform/new coop base and it’s looking so good!

Back
Top Bottom