Roofing?

You can just add on to the top the front wall frame... And use hardware cloth to cover the gap between the wall and the roof then it will be extra ventilation.

You can also redo your frame so that there is a slant to the frame. You'll want the back to be lower than the front and then you will have to cut your walls to size...

We are getting our materials for our coop on Sunday and I'm sure we will be frustrated trying to piece it all together! I'll be happy once it's over with!

The other option aside from slanting the roof is to lay your roof as the structure allows then adding a slanted "top" piece that you attach to the flat piece.

The thing with building a coop for the first time is that inevitably you'll see 654 things you'd like to change AFTER you're halfway or more done with it!

We started ours as a larger home for our 3 older girls and before I found BYC! If I could do it over I'd just build it walk in, shed style.

Do you have the materials to cut a new front facing wall? If so, it should be a few inches higher than the back but as for changing the existing fit, that I'm not sure of. You could add raisers to the front and cover the the gap it would create using a cut to fit mesh screen then board it up come winter but that isn't ideal.

I'll ask DH when he gets home. He's pretty crafty with design flaws :gig

You can just add on to the top the front wall frame... And use hardware cloth to cover the gap between the wall and the roof then it will be extra ventilation.

You can also redo your frame so that there is a slant to the frame. You'll want the back to be lower than the front and then you will have to cut your walls to size...

We are getting our materials for our coop on Sunday and I'm sure we will be frustrated trying to piece it all together! I'll be happy once it's over with!

So maybe do something like this? The red represents some 2x4s. The blue is a much smaller area but is basically where the roof would be and the green would be hw cloth?

Attachments

• 40C82511-8E44-4CE1-9E73-A49872BCA96D.jpeg
    40C82511-8E44-4CE1-9E73-A49872BCA96D.jpeg
    698.7 KB · Views: 5
The other option aside from slanting the roof is to lay your roof as the structure allows then adding a slanted "top" piece that you attach to the flat piece.

The thing with building a coop for the first time is that inevitably you'll see 654 things you'd like to change AFTER you're halfway or more done with it!

We started ours as a larger home for our 3 older girls and before I found BYC! If I could do it over I'd just build it walk in, shed style.
Okay! So build a flat roof and then prop up the front? I’m so bad with construction:barnie I had the whole thing planned out and then when I started building it everything just seemed wrong...

yes, that would be a shed roof and you might want to extend it a bit to the sides or blowing rain will come though the hardware cloth.

I am assuming GA gets nothing for snow if you are just going to use plywood and no 2x4's to support the roof lengthwise. What is the span of that 4'x4'. I would probably still support it with 3 2x4's and extend it out on the sides. You'll have to guess if rain can blow in the high end or not.

So maybe do something like this? The red represents some 2x4s. The blue is a much smaller area but is basically where the roof would be and the green would be hw cloth?

Exactly! More ventilation is always better! And you can make a simple hatch cover with a piece of wood for wintertime, if needed. We're going to add hinged storm doors to our screen windows and a proper entry door.

Then we get to start a whole new coop because I came home with four chicks a month ago :lau

For now babies will move to the old coop which is actually perfect because it's in an enclosed garden so they can learn to chicken before going free range with the big kids.

yes, that would be a shed roof and you might want to extend it a bit to the sides or blowing rain will come though the hardware cloth.

I am assuming GA gets nothing for snow if you are just going to use plywood and no 2x4's to support the roof lengthwise. What is the span of that 4'x4'. I would probably still support it with 3 2x4's and exsted it out on the sides. You'll have to guess if rain can blow in the high end or not.

I’m going to have it hang out over the edge of the main frame about a foot. You’re right, we haven’t gotten any snow over 3 inches in like ten years, hasn’t snowed at all for two. It is 4’x4’.

How do I make a slanted roof with this? I have agonized over this for about a year and just need to get it done. Suggestions? I’d like a shingle or tin roof. Also, do the roosts look too high? Another thing, suggestions as to how to make it taller? I don’t like the height the legs are
You can either go with a lean-to style roof or a gable roof. Lean-to will be easier.
Whichever way you want the roof to pitch, build a little knee wall on the high side and nail it to your wall top plate. I'd use 24" on center 2x4s. Then install your rafters. Again, for a structure that small, 2x4's should be fine.
You can bird's mouth notch the rafters to fit over your knee wall or just toenail them into place and back that up with some rafter ties.
Make sure that you have a minimum of a 12/2 pitch for shingles. It's code and your roof will fail prematurely if you don't have proper pitch. I would go with 12/4. The underlayment for shingles is not optional. It is required. You can use 15# or 20# tar paper or synthetic underlayment. Doesn't matter. You should also install drip edge to protect the edges of your roof deck. Here is a schematic on basic roof construction:
roof schematic.jpg

You don't need the waterproof membrane in your stack up.
The roof deck goes on over the rafters, then the lower side drip edge goes on.
Then the underlayment.
Then the rake drip edge (sides).
The first course of shingles is installed upside down with about 1/2 to 3/4" of the shingle hanging out past the edge of the drip edge.
Then start shingling. Just follow the instructions on the package if you have never shingled before.
I would extend the rafters about a foot out on the front and back to get good overhang to protect the coop from water blowing in through the windows.

To make the coop higher, you can install 4x4 PT post legs under the structure using ledgerlok or timberlok screws. Then set the legs up on level concrete blocks.

The roosts aren't too high but look too close together and to the wall. How many chickens are you housing in this coop?

Back
Top Bottom