Rookie - failing and wondering if worth it?

chunkyonchia

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2016
Western Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hey

A few months ago I was given 2 hens aged 2-3yo. I read heaps of books and stuff online, built a coop.

Anyway after a month of non-laying one hen started laying lash eggs. After a week of antibiotics, she lays an egg every few days.

Last week I went on a 2 night holiday I'd won, while family fed hens. When I got back I immediately noticed one hen was sick and dirty. A bath showed she had flystrike.
Segregated her, daily baths, Betadine, antibiotics. Unable to dust bath she got a mites outbreak. l caught mites. Stress. Itching. I had given hen 7 days to get better before i would have her put down. She died yesterday.

tl dr: I seem to be the worst hen keeper! One hen left - should I get her some friends or am I being cruel considering I must be terrible at this?! Other option is to sell healthy hen.

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Don't give up! Some people get off to a rough start, sadly. There's sometimes nothing that can be done, regardless of a keeper's level of experience. Flystrike can be tough to beat.

You should try to locate some friends for your remaining hen ASAP, as chickens don't do well alone.

Greetings from Kansas and, :welcome! Pleased you joined us. I agree with QueenMisha! Consider your first go round a trial run. You've worked out the kinks and now you're ready to give it a go again! Second time around will go much more smoothly! Best of luck! :)

Hello and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined. It's sad to hear that you have had such a rough time, but we all agree that what happened was nothing to do with your husbandry and you need more chickens (we all do
smile.png
). Please don't doubt yourself - go ahead and try again - you have the support of BYC to help you.

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Please don't give up, things happen to most everyone at some point. I also got off to a rocky start (bought chicks from a disreputable seller and 4 out of 7 almost immediately died) but the 2nd attempt went much better. Chickens are so enjoyable, don't deprive yourself of a fun hobby.

Everyone is here to help each other so if you have questions, feel free to ask for help. The Learning Center and the search feature are super helpful so use them!

Thanks for joining us!

Hello and welcome to Backyard chickens! Please do not give up, everybody makes mistakes. Get your remaining hen some buddies, and keep your chin up! Enjoy BYC!

Chunkyonchia, this is my second year keeping chickens and so far this year I have had poultry lice over run, coccidiosis, scaley leg mites, round worms x2, and feather depluming mites. It's been a rough year. Plus last night I realized that one of my girls had a plugged and infected preen gland. I love them so much that I am worried about them all the time and after a year like this I worry too. I have always kept my coop and run clean and done all I can to care for them properly. BYC helps me to remember that I am not alone and that it is part of keeping chickens. Don't give up, get more babies and enjoy them. And keep coming back here when you question anything. Someone will have gone through it and can help with solid advice and support.

Please keep plugging away. Many folks have horror stories re: their first attempts with chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, I could go on and on. Backyard chickens has your back, front and sides. We are here for you.

One thing I like to advise newbies of, once you go offline, there is NO way we can reach you. Often people have dire emergencies, and post on the ER thread - then immediately go offline. When you are offline you can't even read any private messages sent offering advice. Our hands are tied.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom