Rookie in Mooresville NC

Droobie

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Mooresville NC
Hey folks! A buddy and I have recently Gained interest in raising chickens. We have started to build our chicken tractor and should be completing it this weekend (fingers crossed). We are both excited about this adventure. Im not sure what breed to raise. My Mom has Rhode Island Reds and Silkies. The Reds seem to be nice birds but whoop on the silkies if they are in the same coop. My buddy is leaning toward Barred Rocks or Lavender Orpingtons. I dont know anything about these birds. I would like to find a breed that is a laying machine but is loving and likes to be held. I hope this adventure becomes my next hobby! I admire my Mom and her chicken raising skills. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Drew

Greetings from Kansas, Droobie, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Unsure what to tell you on the breeds. I think nearly any breed can be tamed and come to love being held...but I don't think this kindness necessarily translates to them being kind to other birds. RIRs, Orps, and Rocks are all really good choices - just not sure which if any will be kind to your silkies. Just my opinion. Good luck to you.

Welcome! I have two barred plymouth rock pullets and I'm in love. They are the friendliest out of my 6 chicks and I really wish I would have gotten all plymouth rocks. Plus they are pretty. I've read that they are eggcellent layers
gig.gif
but can be bossy. BUT I've also read that they are very friendly, just depends on how they are raised.

-Katie

Back
Top Bottom