Rookie Move: Brought home sick chickens

Good catch Shannon thank you!
Chicken Pests 2.jpg

Actually @Cragg Klefor while the illustration you first posted may have not been one that you were looking for, it was correct:)
While mostly we talk about lice and mites here on forums, chickens can be have ticks, bedbugs, sticktight fleas and chiggers as well. Probably a few other things out there that I have not heard of too!

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/ectoparasites/mites-of-poultry
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg236

chicken-pests-jpg.1630150
Ah :) thank you @Wyorp Rock
You continue to teach me :)

Update (GRAPHIC/GROSS PICS BELOW!!): Busy Day!

Got a good look at the ladies this morning, starting with healthy girl Red. (Holy cow what a difference between her and these sick girls!) Crops empty and abdomens relatively firm, feet look good. Its just heartbreaking how skinny they are.

If they are in poor body condition, you may want to feed them chick starter or an all flock/flock raiser feed. Aim for 18-20% protein. Offer oyster shell separately free choice. Limit the amount of treats they get to no more than 5-10% of daily intake - eggs, mealworms (small amount), fresh fruit/veggies or a small amount of scratch.

Meant to address feeding in the last post. I bought some chick starter a day or two after I brought them home and they wouldn't eat it. At first I thought it was a texture thing, but during the first few weeks there were some days that they seemed to barely touch the pellets either. Well, having had them in the outdoor run for a while now, I've noticed they go NUTS and will eat anything scattered on the ground. I'm wondering if maybe this was the only way they were fed before. It definitely adds up as far as Daisy's emaciation, poor thing would probably be at the bottom of the totem pole even if she wasn't weak, sick, and young.
Anyways, pardon the digression... I've been scattering the chick starter in the mornings and bringing them some warm baby oatmeal and cereal. Yesterday they had a scrambled egg. Layer pellets are always available. I'm feeling hopeful about their appetites after the past few mornings. They really look forward to whatever I have for them and gobble it up with enthusiasm.

This afternoon I started with another soak for Nay.
20190103_132208.jpg

She's looking MUCH better overall. (Just look at that rosy comb! Geez you should have seen it when she first arrived) Stool is still runny, but the smell has dramatically improved. Smell is still more (don't know the word I'm looking for here... sour? sickly?) than normal.
She had what looked like a little crustiness around the vent, but it turned out to be like concrete and didn't want to come off even in/after the soak. I'm worried that some skin came off too this time.
Here's the after clean up pic:
20190103_133622.jpg

The first time I soaked her I noticed a strange yellowish rubbery "coating" surrounding the vent. I managed to get it off without breaking the skin, but there was more this time. I read a BYC article that mentions something similar: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.64647/
"Initially swelling and reddening of the mucosa is seen, progressing to ulceration affecting the vent and continuing a short distance into the cloaca, this may be covered with a yellow diptheritic membrane, another words, the infection may also cause a red and/or swollen vent which may bleed."

I was worried at the time that there was more inside that might be causing a blockage, and this is what came off today:
20190103_132916.jpg

20190103_134549.jpg

its hard to tell from the picture, but its like there were "layers" to this stuff. My first thought was that I'm seeing evidence of a long term infection. But if she's passing it, hopefully that's a good sign. Please let me know your thoughts!!
I reapplied the anti-fungal cream, but was really wishing I had had an antibiotic ointment on hand instead since she was so raw.

So after putting Nay back I ran up to the bait shop and bought the girls a bag of crickets to enjoy before phase two: louse treatment.

I cleaned the coop, burned the hay Daisy had been bedding down in, and sprayed everything with a permethrin poultry spray. Gave all the girls a good mist as well. (I checked Red really well this morning, and never found any evidence of bugs on her, but I figured it was the wisest course to just spray everyone)

Today was suppose to be the start of another round of dewormer but I wanted to ask for advice on this point first:
It's good that you are worming them. Are you using the Safeguard Aquasol that is designed to go in the water since you mentioned mixing it with water.
I know some have tried using the Liquid goat wormer in water with mixed results, reporting that the wormer settles out. I'm not even sure of how much would go in the water since the only dosing information I have is by weight.
The first round of dewormer I gave them was the safeguard goat 10% suspension administered in water. The 3ml/gal dosage was one I found on BYC and confirmed by my local chicken sensei who says she has used it with success.
I did not start that today however, because if a more targeted approach is available, I'm all in. Like I mentioned before, I've been giving them baby oatmeal in the mornings, which they've started getting really excited about. Can I administer in this instead? Guessing weight would be tough, but if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks again to all of you!!

Well, having had them in the outdoor run for a while now, I've noticed they go NUTS and will eat anything scattered on the ground. I'm wondering if maybe this was the only way they were fed before.

It definitely adds up as far as Daisy's emaciation, poor thing would probably be at the bottom of the totem pole even if she wasn't weak, sick, and young.

its hard to tell from the picture, but its like there were "layers" to this stuff. My first thought was that I'm seeing evidence of a long term infection. But if she's passing it, hopefully that's a good sign. Please let me know your thoughts!!

I reapplied the anti-fungal cream, but was really wishing I had had an antibiotic ointment on hand instead since she was so raw.

I've been giving them baby oatmeal in the mornings, which they've started getting really excited about. Can I administer in this instead?
It's nice to see that they are improving. It will take time for them to gain condition, so keep it up:)
The article for vent gleet is good, so I would follow the instruction in that.

The material you are getting out of Nay Nay is a bit concerning since you mentioned it's like "layers". Hopefully that is just some layers of poop from constipation, but it looks very much like "lash" material due to Salpingitis. This is an inflammation/infection of the oviduct and "layers" of caseous exudes (pus) form in there - it can come out in small pieces or it can form into what loosely resembles an egg (Lash Egg).

It's good that they are excited over the oatmeal. I would go easy with that since it's not as nutritional as the chick starter. But, if you're like me, you want to feel like you are doing something special for them, so try to slow cut back on the oatmeal and add a little starter to it - make them an oatmeal/feed mash. My girls absolutely love wet feed! I don't ferment feed, but do make a fresh mash every day.

Sounds like you are right about them being used to feeding off the ground. They will learn to eat from feeders and bowls eventually:)

As for the worming...I do read adding to the water and have seen that. I'm more "traditional" and since there's a small number of chickens, directly dosing them will ensure they are getting the correct amount of medication. I always worry about medication like that settling out of the water since it's not designed for that.
Safeguard dosage is .23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.
That will take care of most worms.

Your doing good! Love the photo of Nay Nay in the tub, her expression is just too cute!

That is great Gizabelle, you are doing a wonderful job of nursing these girls back to health. Again, they really are very lucky you came along when you did :thumbsup

As for Nay, what a great photo. You can see her personality right there in her face :)
Well done on trying to get that vent clean again. The poor girl, I for one am glad she is with you now for however long that may be.
Hopefully that is just some layers of poop from constipation, but it looks very much like "lash" material due to Salpingitis.
Agree unfortunately. @Gizabelle That would also add up with the smell you are getting which you describe as sour or sickly... it is how I hear people describe the smell of infection :( I hope I'm wrong, it would make sense though. Here's some reading on it if you would like: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/134/salpingitis/

It sounds like you did everything right to tackle the mites and/or lice. Those girls will not know themselves now, imagine the discomfort of having creepy crawlies all over you!! :sick

Just regarding the wormer, I believe it is best to finish out a dose of any wormer, resistance building being the problem otherwise. So whether you decide to follow through with the original dosing or go with the direct dosing (a more reliable method I would think) - stick with the safeguard until dosing is completed.

And I agree about the feed, they are just not used to being treated with such care!! I would think they will come round quickly with that. Possibly a little trust is all they need, the more familiar they become with you the easier it will be for them to trust what you leave down for them, regain healthy appetites and begin living their real lives. Continue as you are, you're doing amazing.

Did you try soaking the feed or even wetting it down for half an hour? They normally take to it straight away, and it's a very easy way of administering other things to them also ;)

Agree unfortunately. @Gizabelle That would also add up with the smell you are getting which you describe as sour or sickly... it is how I hear people describe the smell of infection :( I hope I'm wrong, it would make sense though. Here's some reading on it if you would like: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/134/salpingitis/
Well that sure doesn't sound good. Definitely adds up to what I'm seeing though.
Okay... I have an unmixed bottle of clavamox in my arsenal. Since this is sounding more and more to be bacterial, what do you think? (thank goodness it's unmixed, I know it has a really short shelf life once mixed up)
Doing research on dosage now.
I was planning on restarting the dewormer again today also. Just held off for a day to get your opinions on administering it. I think I will try the direct dose in a little mash since they are eating it readily as a treat now.
The baby oatmeal was a suggestion from the chicken expert at my local feed store. She's a long time keeper and runs the chick department every year. Her flock is made up entirely of the "rejects" from the yearly chick sales, so she seems pretty knowledgeable about nursing the weak ones. I do agree that chick starter mash sounds far more beneficial to them though, and I'll transition to that.

Can I give Nay dewormer and antibiotics at the same time? Don't want to miss my redose window on the wormer, but I'd like to jump on the infection ASAP as well.

And thank you both so so much. I can't tell you how grateful I am for the support

Back
Top Bottom