Rookie Move: Brought home sick chickens

I got weights on everyone today!

Red: 6.44
Nay: 5.24
Daisy: 2.5

They were all a little wet (rainy day here) but that shouldn't make too much difference.
I'm going to do an exact dose for the sick girls. I didn't worm Red the first time around, but considering it now. Thoughts?

Also, having a hard time finding dosage info for clavamox. Some of what I've read seems to suggest using the same dosage as amoxicillin. Box states "each ml will contain 62.5 mg of amoxicillin/clavulanic acid activity"

Personally I would include Red this time, it'll keep everything together going forward for them as a flock :)

I don't know the dosage of the antibiotic myself I'm afraid but I'll see if I can find anything this end.

It is really good you got to weigh them, poor little Daisy weighing in at 2.5! I hope she starts to get some meet on those bones! I'm sure she will now.

Amoxicillin (Amoxil, BRL) Overview Amoxicillin (Amoxil, BRL) is a broad spectrum antibiotic from the Penicillin family. It is usually used in combination with another antibiotic, such as Clavulanate, to make it more effective at treating some infections caused by certain Gram-positive bacteria. Amoxicillin is most commonly given to birds who were recently attacked by a predator, to help prevent pasteurellosis (fowl cholera) from bites or scratches. Egg Withdrawal Period: 1 day withdrawal period for eating eggs.

Dosage:If given via IM, 50 mg/kg body weight. If given orally, 100-175 mg/kg once to twice a day. If given in drinking water, 0.5 g/L.

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/amoxicillin

I have an unmixed bottle of clavamox in my arsenal. Since this is sounding more and more to be bacterial, what do you think? (thank goodness it's unmixed, I know it has a really short shelf life once mixed up)

Also, having a hard time finding dosage info for clavamox. Some of what I've read seems to suggest using the same dosage as amoxicillin. Box states "each ml will contain 62.5 mg of amoxicillin/clavulanic acid activity"

I ***think*** it is the same as Amoxicillin 125mg/kg given 2X a day, BUT I am waiting for a consult of greater minds than mine:)

I wanted to share some information I read a couple of years ago. It was from shagbarkbantams.com and was regarding the use of Oxine AH for poultry respiratory issues. The article name is:
The Many Uses of Oxine AH (Animal Health)

After reading it I was both amazed AND sold!

Since I already had Oxine for use as a disinfectant, I purchased a mini personal humidifier that runs off a 16oz water bottle, just in case the need ever arose. Luckily I have not had to use it, but I have it in case. I think I’m as prepared for stuff as a Boy Scout would be. :lau

Check out this site. There are many more good articles as well.

@Gizabelle what size bottle do you have?
Can you post a photo of the Clavamox?
How many ml does it contain?
20190104_203650.jpg

I held off on dosing this today.
15ml just doesn't sound like enough for a full course. The poultry DVM site makes no mention (that I saw) of how long to administer.
Looking through threads now.

I seem to remember that the required dose for a chicken on clavamox (vs plain amoxicillin) is MUCH higher than I would have expected it to be.

And that the typical 15 Ml bottle (after mixing) would not be enough for a full course of treatment for even one bird.

View attachment 1633303

I held off on dosing this today.
15ml just doesn't sound like enough for a full course. The poultry DVM site makes no mention (that I saw) of how long to administer.
Looking through threads now.
After discussion - you could probably go as low as 100mg/kg until you run out. (For a 5 lb chicken that would be 4.54 ml twice a day). The 15ml bottle is not going to last long.

Alternatively you can order Amoxicillin (Fish Mox) from Ebay or places like Revival Animal Health or Jeffers Pet. Amoxicillin dosage is 125mg/kg (57mg per pound of weight) given twice a day for 10 days. That may be better.

Back
Top Bottom