Rookie Move: Brought home sick chickens

Update: Gaining weight, starting antibiotics.

I've been really busy these past few weeks, and just keeping an eye on the girls.
I finally made it to TS today and picked up some Tylan50 injectable.

I did another weigh-in today to prepare for meds and these ladies have put on some weight!
Nay is up to 5.9lbs from 5.24 on Jan 4th
and Daisy is up to 2.82lbs from 2.5
That's over a 12% increase in body weight for both in just 15 days!!

Nay Nay has still been showing signs of nesting, but so far, no eggs and still has a little crust-yuck on her vent. With all the family things I've had going on lately, she's been on a wait-and-see regimen. Since I'm still finding the sludgy poops under her roost and she's still getting a bit "clogged" I decided to do one more soak today and start her on antibiotics with Daisy. To my joyful surprise, when I cleaned off the dried poop, there was hardly any exudate around her vent! Just a few tiny flecks... WORLDS better than any time before. Fingers crossed she's working through it!

Daisy is doing well, but still scrawny and sneezing. (The hard data from the weigh-in was a big confidence booster... its much harder to see progress in her)

I gave the first round of antibiotics this evening dosing both girls orally with the Tylan50 injectable at .33ml/lb. I don't think I'll be able to do more than twice a day, hence the slightly higher dose. I spent a lot of time reading about dosing, and was going by both your advice, @Wyorp Rock and this:

Ideal dose is 0.25 ml per pound *four* time a day.
If you can't do four, then do 0.33 ml per pound *three* time a day.
If three is too hard, do 0.5 ml twice a day.

Tylan works best if given 4 times a day, but that's hard to do, so give no less than twice a day.

I was a bit nervous to go a full .5ml without double checking...

So, opinions please... Daisy will go the full course of antibiotics for the respiratory issue, but I want to make sure this is the right call for Nay Nay. The vent mystery material is definitely decreasing, but the thick sludgy poop is not, and she's still not keeping herself totally clean as a result. What do you ladies think?

Update: Gaining weight, starting antibiotics.

I've been really busy these past few weeks, and just keeping an eye on the girls.
I finally made it to TS today and picked up some Tylan50 injectable.

I did another weigh-in today to prepare for meds and these ladies have put on some weight!
Nay is up to 5.9lbs from 5.24 on Jan 4th
and Daisy is up to 2.82lbs from 2.5
That's over a 12% increase in body weight for both in just 15 days!!

Nay Nay has still been showing signs of nesting, but so far, no eggs and still has a little crust-yuck on her vent. With all the family things I've had going on lately, she's been on a wait-and-see regimen. Since I'm still finding the sludgy poops under her roost and she's still getting a bit "clogged" I decided to do one more soak today and start her on antibiotics with Daisy. To my joyful surprise, when I cleaned off the dried poop, there was hardly any exudate around her vent! Just a few tiny flecks... WORLDS better than any time before. Fingers crossed she's working through it!

Daisy is doing well, but still scrawny and sneezing. (The hard data from the weigh-in was a big confidence booster... its much harder to see progress in her)

I gave the first round of antibiotics this evening dosing both girls orally with the Tylan50 injectable at .33ml/lb. I don't think I'll be able to do more than twice a day, hence the slightly higher dose. I spent a lot of time reading about dosing, and was going by both your advice, @Wyorp Rock and this:

I was a bit nervous to go a full .5ml without double checking...

So, opinions please... Daisy will go the full course of antibiotics for the respiratory issue, but I want to make sure this is the right call for Nay Nay. The vent mystery material is definitely decreasing, but the thick sludgy poop is not, and she's still not keeping herself totally clean as a result. What do you ladies think?
This is good news!
Weight gain is good. It's going to take them a little while, but you don't want them to put on fat which can be hard on their body, so slow is great.

Yes, I would go with the .33ml per pound of weight 2 times a day. Tylan50 is good for treating respiratory illness like MG and has also been used to treat infection like Enteritis. Tylan50 is usually well tolerated, so it's one I personally would feel comfortable using.

Thank you for the update!

I gave the first round of antibiotics this evening dosing both girls orally with the Tylan50 injectable at .33ml/lb. I don't think I'll be able to do more than twice a day, hence the slightly higher dose. I spent a lot of time reading about dosing, and was going by both your advice,
The Elanco site says that the powder dose is 50 mg per pound per day for chickens and 60 mg per pound per day for turkeys.

A vet on a facebook page says 0.2 ml per pound 3-4 times a day.

I'm gonna guess that you're nervous about giving more because there are so many posts that say to give less, and to give it one a day?

The Elanco site says that the powder dose is 50 mg per pound per day for chickens and 60 mg per pound per day for turkeys.

I'm gonna guess that you're nervous about giving more because there are so many posts that say to give less, and to give it one a day?

Exactly. Tried to play it safe for the first dose, but can up the dosage going forward after confirmation.
Thank you for responding. :)

Kathy, is the dosage for powder and injectable the same? I know that sounds a bit stupid LOL

I've always gone by Plumbs Vet Drug Manual - dosage for Tylan is 10-40mg/kg given 2-3 times a day :confused:

Kathy, is the dosage for powder and injectable the same? I know that sounds a bit stupid LOL
Not stupid, and I don't know. :idunno

If you were to go off of what that vet says and give the max, that's 0.8 ml per day.
I've always gone by Plumbs Vet Drug Manual - dosage for Tylan is 10-40mg/kg given 2-3 times a day :confused:
Plumb's is a great resource, and I use it often, but I use the other ones too, and some of them say "10-40mg/kg given 3-4 times a day.

So based on what the one vet says, the various books, and the Elanco powder dose, 50 mg per pound per day is what I would give mine, and it's what a few peafowl people have given their peafowl and it's worked quite well even though they only gave it twice a day.

In regard to all the other Tylan threads: How can there be so many recommendations for lower doses? Are these folks really seeing results at such low doses?

In regard to all the other Tylan threads: How can there be so many recommendations for lower doses? Are these folks really seeing results at such low doses?
I do believe some people are seeing results at lower dosages, but consideration of what they are treating, age/health of bird, etc. would also have to be noted. I don't have all that information and a lot of times people don't report back or they just make a post that all is well. Also don't know if they treated with something else in addition to the Tylan

Ok, need help.
I think I have an egg bound situation. Tight, swollen abdomen, drizzling a little fluid from the vent occasionally. Listless, and just standing around trance-like.
I'm researching how to handle the situation, but some first-hand advice would be greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom